First thing... Do you have any backup of the parameters, either on paper (usually a printout in a manual) or on a disk? It *does* matter because the parameters are used to customize the machine. Fortunately, the parameters are loaded into EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Memory), so they are safe even when the power has been off for a LONG time. HOWEVER, if you start messing around with trying to run all the different reset procedures, you *MAY* erase the parameters. Therefore, it benefits you to slow down and be patient.

Its also not resetting the "driver," a term which typically means a bit of code that "tells" a computer how to manage a specific device such as a printer, mouse, scanner, etc. The Meldas control doesn't have drivers. What it does have is parameters that customize the control to a specific machine via generic capabilities such as "how many axis are present" or "tuning the servo for a particular axis." In addition, it has a PLC (aka ladder logic) which is also used for customization. This binds a specific input or output to a specific pin (things like the limit switch inputs, or carousel outputs); in addition, it can be used to setup logical sequences such as, "when this switch is open, do not allow the machine to be started." Typically on an M3 or L3 series control, the PLC is burned into EPROM, which is memory that cannot be changed. However, it *can* lose its sanity.... Over time, EPROMs will lose "state." Think of it like this. Some memory burning is analogous to burning a hole in a piece of paper for a 1 and not burning for a 0. These types of memory never loose their state. However, an EPROM works with a small charge. Over the decades, that charge can dissipate and then the original state of the bit is lost. This is a bad bad thing, of course. Typically I make a copy of all my EPROMs because I don't trust that they'll be around forever. Let's face it, these machines are *old* and the stated life of many of these devices is 20 years... Now, the M3 was built in the early 90s which makes them almost THIRTY years old!

I digress.... So, there is no driver (software) in the M3. There are, of course, drives though. You will have a servo amplifier (aka a drive) for each axis and also a drive for each spindle. The M3 control uses MR-S1x drives (MR-S11, S12, S13). The S11 will only control one servo while the S12 will control two and the S13 will control three. The S11 is definitely the most common, but it isn't unusual to find an S11 and an S12 in a mill. The S13 appears to be pretty rare. Fortunately, you can replace an S12 with two S11 drives, if you wanted to (although you would need the space and redo your wiring a bit).

OK... that is about it for now. I just wanted to be sure we got the nomenclature straight as it can get confusing sometimes if people are talking apples and oranges. :-)