586,655 active members*
3,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Cooling system for large spindle?

Cooling system for large spindle?

Hi,

I have a rather large milling spindle that needs cooling. In my previous projects i've always used watercooling parts from the watercooling of computers, but this seems a bit too tiny for my spindle( See buildlog and spindle here), so i'd like something a bit more "robust"...but what?

The manual for the spindle states that "cooling fluid 2c above room temperature", "flow must be 15L/min" and "recommended 2cst viscosity"...

Have anyone any recommendations for pumps, radiators and/or reservoir? I seem to have a hard time finding anything via Google, but i might be searching for the wrong thing here...so any inputs would be greatly appreciated :-)

/Thomas

Re: Cooling system for large spindle?

U could use ready chiller for laser cutters. They are complete with fluid tank, pump, and temp sensor and controller.
    Ofcourse they are chinise, so most easy to find on ali... Or ebay, sometimes they are sent from EU.

Quote Originally Posted by steryd View Post
    U could use ready chiller for laser cutters. They are complete with fluid tank, pump, and temp sensor and controller.
    Ofcourse they are chinise, so most easy to find on ali... Or ebay, sometimes they are sent from EU.
    Brilliant! This led me to something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002865696413.html
    ...i guess this is kinda what you had in mind? It solves it...thanks!

/Thomas

Yes. That is what i was talking about, there are quite lots of options and sizes of them, for instance:
    https://www.ebay.pl/itm/223857800270
    In my opinion, for milling spindle small ones should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    Hi,

I have a rather large milling spindle that needs cooling. In my previous projects i've always used watercooling parts from the watercooling of computers, but this seems a bit too tiny for my spindle( See buildlog and spindle here), so i'd like something a bit more "robust"...but what?

The manual for the spindle states that "cooling fluid 2c above room temperature", "flow must be 15L/min" and "recommended 2cst viscosity"...

Have anyone any recommendations for pumps, radiators and/or reservoir? I seem to have a hard time finding anything via Google, but i might be searching for the wrong thing here...so any inputs would be greatly appreciated :-)

/Thomas
    The spindle should have a water jacket with an inlet and outlet pipe. The water would circulate down through the jacket and into the chiller. There are multiple systems available to achieve your goal. Remember to use bespoke premixed coolant water that prevents or inhibits rust and bacteria. contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum2 View Post
    Yeah, that was what i did last time, but i don't feel like that is quite good enough for this projekt. I'd like to go up one notch:-) I've ordered one of those laser-chillers, it contains pump and everything...

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    The spindle should have a water jacket with an inlet and outlet pipe. The water would circulate down through the jacket and into the chiller. There are multiple systems available to achieve your goal. Remember to use bespoke premixed coolant water that prevents or inhibits rust and bacteria. contamination.
    Yeah, i already made the "jacket" with inlet and outlet in the correct places with respect to the spiral on the spindle:
    Attachment 488514 Attachment 488516

What coolant should i use? Do you have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by badhabit View Post
    Yeah, that was what i did last time, but i don't feel like that is quite good enough for this projekt. I'd like to go up one notch:-) I've ordered one of those laser-chillers, it contains pump and everything...

Yeah, i already made the "jacket" with inlet and outlet in the correct places with respect to the spiral on the spindle:
    Attachment 488514 Attachment 488516

What coolant should i use? Do you have any recommendations?
    Coolex with 5% minimum, it comes pre-mixed. It's not cheap but lasts for 3 years between service exchanges. Chiller needs to maintain around 22°C during use. Error at 28°C to protect the spindle. It's not like in a car where you are protecting from outside winter temperatures. Indoors the weaker solution with correct inhibitors don't need mixes for freezing point protection. Industrial coolant is weaker but cools better.

Most companies use mix of gliceric alcohol with distilled water (aprox 30% should be enough) for spindles. U can also use simply car motor coolant. It's more less the same, just coloured,

ehm I don't like what I'm hearing, I thought I'll just use a massive radiator, slap some noctuas 200mm on it so there's no sound and be done with it

yet another specialized device to add to make things even work, I don't like buying stuff I can't repair or build myself.

what kind of a build did you make that wasn't good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum2 View Post
    ehm I don't like what I'm hearing, I thought I'll just use a massive radiator, slap some noctuas 200mm on it so there's no sound and be done with it

yet another specialized device to add to make things even work, I don't like buying stuff I can't repair or build myself.

what kind of a build did you make that wasn't good enough?
    Industrial coolers are self running like a fridge, all you need to do is connect two pipes, fill the system and bleed, use a check valve to prevent the spindle draining back when turned off. Stand alone systems can be programmed for temperature and monitor coolant flow. You then change the motor air filter from time to time. There is a bit of work setting up to do, to protect the spindle.