586,656 active members*
3,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC wood router convert to 5 axis

I have a home built large CNC 3 axis wood router that works very well. I would like to convert the machine into a 5 axis machine by adding parts so the spindle will rotate in 360deg. Who makes parts that I can buy to adapt this machine?

Re: CNC wood router convert to 5 axis

Hi Tomo - No one. Usually you make it yourself. Do you mean something like this?
    Peter
    https://cnc4pc.com/doughty-drive-the...-solution.html

Yes exactly, thanks for your response. I figured that it would be something I have to make from scratch.
    I found an interesting video here that also explains a bit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRY8N5l5l3c
    Thanks,Tomo

Before you get too far down that road,you might consider how you propose to create the toolpaths.At some point calculations will need to be made to move the hardware in such a way that the components can be made to their design geometry.It can involve some fairly complex calculations involving distances of part datum from the pivot points of the additional axes.Around twenty years ago I knew a fellow who did exactly this using two Nikken fourth axes mounted as in the link above and it took a lot of time and effort to make it all happen-but it worked very well.I think you will find the need for a custom post processor fairly pressing and perhaps expensive.Experimenting an be even more expensive if a careless keystroke sends a tool through the new additions to the machine.I suggest seeking out reliable simulation software for some trial runs.

Thanks thats good advice. I plan to run the setup on my desktop before installing on my machine. Simulation software is a great idea. I was thinking of using the Dynamotion Kflop controller as I will have to get a new one for this machine. Any suggestions on simulation software?
    Thanks for your input, Tomo

Hi Tomo - As routealot says the mechanics are pretty straightforward. The software however is complex and if you want 5 axis simultaneous its very complex and its very $$$ heavy. Best to sort that out before you start on the mechanics. Fusion360 has a 5 axis extension and last time I priced mechsoft 5 axis it was well over $10000usd so investigate this aspect first. Peter

Thanks, I use Fusion360 so thats a start. Mecsoft is expensive as you say, will investigate the software available. I also use Meshcam but unsure if this will do 5 axis
    Thanks Tomo

For simulation,other than Fusion,you might use Vericut or Predator.They will very likely cost more than your machine did,which is of less consequence to those whose machines cost millions and who wish to maintain the value of those machines,rather than gouging chunks out of them.I don't know whether modelling each setup in Camotics might work but it could be worth some experimenting.

Hi Routalot - camotics is a 3 axis simulation not 5 axis. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Routalot - camotics is a 3 axis simulation not 5 axis. Peter
    I was aware of that which is why I was trying,and apparently failing, to suggest that modelling each phase of the setup in 3 axis mode relative to the spindle might be a way forward.A very laborious way forward at that.I continue to believe that 5 axis work will remain out of reach of the hobby machinist until low cost software with an easily customisable post processor appears from somewhere.It would be a great project for a group of generous programmers to undertake.I would really like to see it happen as an open source thing,but all too often these become infiltrated by people who like being associated with technical progress and then waste time and effort by re-designing icons instead of pushing the functionality forward.

I suspect that in the short term people will have to get by with using several fixtures that have indexing features but even this will be several generations ahead of what was available a few years ago.When I see projects such as this https://www.modelenginemaker.com/ind...ic,5142.0.html I am in awe of the skills on display and think back to the model engineers who made single cylinder steam engines using no more than lathes designed in the middle of the 20th century,who would have been stunned at what was to come along a few decades later.