586,076 active members*
3,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Just bought a Plasmacam with no software - best options?

Just bought a Plasmacam with no software - best options?

Hi,

I just bought a ten year old as new Plasmacam table - unfortunately without pc or software.

Plasmacam say they will transfer the ownership, but that the software that goes with my machine is no longer supported or available. Seems like manufactured obsolescence to me. New software from them would cost $2000 which I'm not keen on spending in order to get on their treadmill. The machine only cost me £1070 off Ebay!

I'm looking at my options:

1. Upgrade using the C&CNC kit (if they will ship to the UK) which is expensive but ticks all the boxes.

2. Fit Geko G320X drivers for the X & Y, generic stepper driver for the Y, and then upgrade using the Myplasm kit and software. This looks very user friendly but would need more work and setting up than opt 1.

3. Use Geko drivers and a generic 3 axis CNC controller, Mach 3, and Sheetcam. This is a bit cheaper than option 2 but would entail a lot of work and setting up etc.

4. Very reluctant to swap out the servos for steppers and then use controls as in opt 3.

I suspect lots of people will have been through this process and any advise or comment on my options (or others I should be considering) would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Just bought a Plasmacam with no software - best options?

Hi,
    firstly, what servos and servo drivers does the machine have currently?.

It certainly makes sense to reuse those servos if reasonable and cost effectively possible. If they are Step/Direction servos that does not preclude the use of Mach3, although Mach3 is obsolete.
    If you want to use Mach then get Mach4. I have used it and an Ethernet SmoothStepper for eight years and its light years ahead of Mach3.

Assuming the servos are Step/Direction and you want to replace the control system then I'd recommend Mach4 (200USD), Ethernet SmoothStepper ($225USD) and a WarpRunner ($449USD).
    The last component (WarpRunner) is a breakout board and THC controller combination. It is designed to work specifically with Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper and offers high dynamic THC (high bandwidth)
    with sophisticated Anti-Dive strategies, offering as good a solution to hobbyists (for Plasma THC) as many a commercial or industrial solution.

Craig

Does it currently have stepper motors or servos? The Gecko G320 drives will run brushed servos, but if your machine has steppers, you'll want another kind of drives.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I would consider a retrofit to linuxcnc.
    But I think the servos they use are a bit non standard
    Also I believe the Z axis lifter uses a proprietary serial comms link to the motor.
    Upgrading the licence could well be a cost effective solution.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au