587,076 active members*
3,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

SolidCam a Good Option for Small Job Shop?

A little background first:

I'm getting ready to open a small job shop (One VMC, a welder, manual lathe to start (upgrade to a CNC later))

What I'm wondering is if SOlidCam/SolidWorks is the best option for me, or if I would be better off with something else. I used SolidWorks quite alot when I was in school, and use AutoCad on a daily basis now. I think that SolidCam looks like a good option because of its integration into SolidWorks and toolpath associatvity. Is it easy to learn? I used MasterCam in school and found it very difficult (not intuitive at all)

I understand that SolidCam is sold modular, what modules should I start out with (and can I add more later if I need them)?

How good is postprocessor support?

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Michael

It always depends on money....

I too was trained in SW in school and now use it to design airplanes for a business. At first, I used Mastecam is a g-code generator but no matter how hard I tried; just couldn't get it. Mastercam = not user friendly.

On the other hand, Solidcam is a pleasure to work with. Tool path generation is so easy. If you're already proficient in SW, Solidcam will not be a problem. Even comes with full tutorials on milling, lathe, wire cutting, etc. Make the part in SW, cut the part in SC (no open addtional programs!). GET SC IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

I use the 2.5 mill add-on the most, but I'm looking at the turning module also.

Kelvin (getting off the soap box)

Michael,

If you are opening a jobshop and will take models in from various sources ie SolidWorks, IGES, STEP, Catia etc. then I would choose something else that is not so tightly integrated into SolidWorks. I am a SolidCAM user who works purely programming parts created in SolidWorks so all the integration is useful to me. However, if I had to program a part modelled in IGES for example I would have to import it into SW and if the IGES part changed any associativity I had with the original model has been lost.

Then again, if you are intending to model the parts yourself from customers drawings then SolidCAM would be the answer as in my opinion it is very intuitive, relatively bomb-proof and the posts can be edited by the user.

As the other guy says, it all comes down to money (but bear in mind the value of the SolidWorks / SolidCAM bundle deal).

As for the modules, 2½D and 3D would be my starting choice and if you get into fancy 3D shapes on a regular basis, then go for the HSM module which will pay for itself in shorter cycle times.

Hi there!

I'm a SolidWorks user since v.-97 and since 2006 have also SolidCAM full 3D with HSM in my toolshop along with a Hurco VM1. I must say that SolidWorks manage ALOT of imported formats and it have become VERY good to fix and patch imported stuff. As you probably know by know, you'll get a very strong CAD-solution in SolidWorks AND a very strong CAM-solution in SolidCAM. And they're integrated as a complete package.

I uses alot of imported stuff, primary from Rhino, Alias, Pro/E and Catia and with SolidWorks you could open it. Then very often you'll need some adjustment made in the CAD geometry, add a few holes or a pocket, create a working plane / Coordinate system for the CAM or even delete faces and patch the holes. In the CAM process you'll also find that a adjustment would be nice to the CAD geometry, and as you're in the same software environment you could do changes or adjustements as you'll go along. Even SolidWorks configurations are useable in SolidCAM :-)

In my opinion, once you've tried a integrated solution you're stuck ! And the HSM-module are great, what a control power you've got!

Very best regards,
    /Piobaire

Thanks for all your opinions and the information on SolidCam, i think that it is going to be a strong contender for me, (depending on the price- if the reseller ever calls me back....)

I would check into InventorCam and Upgrading your Autocad to Autodesk Inventor. With every seat of Inventor you also get the top Autodesk 2D package. This allows you to better maintain your 2D Legacy data. You can usually get much better pricing to upgrade to Inventor than going with SolidWorks. Both SW and Inventor are very similiar packages. The InventorCam package is the same as SolidCam only the interface is tweeked to run inside Inventor.

Hi: With SolidWorks you also get the dwgeditor which will open up and allow you to mod/create any version of .dwg or .dxf file. I started off as an AutoCad /Inventor user, but eventually switched to SolidWorks/SolidCam. I got tired of the AutoCad telling me that what I wanted to do was coming out in the next version. My main beef with Inventor was the 3D sketching (or lack thereof), and the inability to add or subtract solids for mouldmaking.
    I too prefer the integrated associative CAD/CAM option.

regards