588,061 active members*
5,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What can a good shop do?

Question What can a good shop do?

I sorry if this is the wrong spot for this post, please move if needed.

I've got a project in mind that involves making small parts and tool.

The question is: If I can draw up the items i want turned out (in AutoCAD), can a well equiped machine shop turn out small (100mm x 4-7mm) high grade steel tools?

These would be shanks with various types of tips on them (philips 0-2, torx, ball hex, small wrenches, etc.)

Can modern milling machines turn out such small items or am I asking too much?

Your asking the wrong question.
    The right question is "how much will this cost compaired to buying them?"
    There is not alot that a modern shop can't make.

Yep, it's going to be expensive if you want GOOD parts. Milling, heat treating, grinding, black oxiding... lots of processes and lots of time.

If you've never used a mill before, you can easily end up drawing a part that's more complicated than it needs to be, and complication = $$$$$.

Thanks for the input guys.

I know it's not gonna be cheap, especially prototyping.

The shanks and tool tips need to be high quality (nothing worse than cheap tools) but there's nothing special about them. The other end of the shank is why I need to design and produce them myself.

I have designed a multi tool that will have actual full size useful tools a system for locking the blades and those blades will be interchangeable if I do this right.

So is there any particular capability I need to look for in choosing a shop to do this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Copierguy View Post
    So is there any particular capability I need to look for in choosing a shop to do this project?
    look for quality in their work , companies always have trophy samples , look to see how many of the samples are tool steels and such ,and look at how much steel is being machiined on the floor , if most of the parts being machined are aluminum it may be questionable if they are tooled up for the work you need done

as far as quotes go , cheap can mean CHEAP parts

sounds like the parts you want are straight forward ,if it s simple driver bits then a decent lathe with live tooling should be able to spit them out quickly as long as youve kept the design somewhat simple ,

turning out small items

It may be good to educate your self on some of the primary technology used to manufacture your parts, then you can ask intelligent questions about how the vendor will make the parts. For instance, will they make the hex holes or torx holes with EDM, or by rotary boraching on a CNC lathe or mill. We sell rotary broaching tools, but each shop has their own way of doing things.