584,805 active members*
5,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

what is a swiss screw machine ?

I've seen a few ads for a swiss screw machine operator and I am curious, what exactly is a swiss screw machine ?

A screw machine keeps the tools close to the chuck, and moves the stock. Screw machines are great for long thin parts.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Ahhhh....thank you- I am never comfortable having tools going near the chuck in a lathe

To avoid confusion, it's worth noting that only swiss screw machines move the stock. Regular screw machines do not.

Quote Originally Posted by laszlozoltan View Post
    Ahhhh....thank you- I am never comfortable having tools going near the chuck in a lathe
    The tools do not move in Z - there's no way to crash them into the spindle. There's a small bushing that the stock goes through, and all the tools are arranged around that hole. On the other side of that wall is the spindle and headstock, which provides you Z movement.
    The Machinist's Chatroom
    http://machinechat.freehostia.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBFQBJhDNrc&feature=related"]This may help...[/ame]
    Good video showing moving stock / static tools.

Quote Originally Posted by toastydeath View Post
    To avoid confusion, it's worth noting that only swiss screw machines move the stock. Regular screw machines do not.

The tools do not move in Z - there's no way to crash them into the spindle. There's a small bushing that the stock goes through, and all the tools are arranged around that hole. On the other side of that wall is the spindle and headstock, which provides you Z movement.
    Thank-you I was refering to a conventional cnc lathe; theres the chance of making a mistake either programing or setting an offset wrong and end up with a tool holder going into a spinning chuck; it hasn't happened to me but I have heard of it happening at a shop where I once worked. I can see how a swiss screw machine could be a nice thing to have in a shop.

Swiss machine != screw machine
    They're close, but not the same animal.
    Swiss machines are nice as dedicated machines for high-volume, high-precision, lights-out production, provided you're making parts < 32mm&#216;.
    But definitely requires a new mind-set if you're not used to it!

swiss machines were a range of small high speed cam auto machines developed in the clock and watch making industry. They were so good that the "Swiss" name stuck to that sort of machine type. Dont confuse "Swiss" for just being sliding headstock machines, they can be either fixed or sliding head.