586,069 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > tool library for 2 machines MC9

tool library for 2 machines MC9

I have 2 machines each have 24 pocket SMC

one machine does roughing and alot of billet alum

the other machine does complex surfacing

when programing a part it would be nice to open the tool llibrary

for the machine that the part will be made on

thanks for the help~kojack

I have had similar issues when I was only using MC9 and earlier, I would create a MC9 file (delete the geometry after after creating the new tools) with as many tools as I usually use and save that as (for example) "TOOLS_HAAS.MC9" and for the other machine do the same and call it (also for example) "TOOLS_MAZAK.MC9" then when you are ready to program a part for your HAAS machine, (I do not know what kind of machine you have) get the "TOOLS_HAAS.MC9" and merge it with your part file and re-save it as a working file and begin chaining geometry and you will have access to all those tools. I hope this helps, if you need further explanation, just ask

Quote Originally Posted by CNC_BOB View Post
    I have had similar issues when I was only using MC9 and earlier, I would create a MC9 file (delete the geometry after after creating the new tools) with as many tools as I usually use and save that as (for example) "TOOLS_HAAS.MC9" and for the other machine do the same and call it (also for example) "TOOLS_MAZAK.MC9" then when you are ready to program a part for your HAAS machine, (I do not know what kind of machine you have) get the "TOOLS_HAAS.MC9" and merge it with your part file and re-save it as a working file and begin chaining geometry and you will have access to all those tools. I hope this helps, if you need further explanation, just ask

I did that .. but I cant seem to reload it when I open a new part ...

I wish you could save the tools in the tool manager...

most of my parts use the same tools when I need to change drill size I just

put a diff size in the drill chuck...

The merging part is where im scewing up ...

hopfully I can figure it out .. My simulators have a machine tool list that saves

thanks~Kojack

kojak,

I checked my MC9 and it does have a tool library but as I mentioned before I found it easier to have a "fake" file that has a bunch of tools in it, open that first (that is key) then do "file merge" with the actual part you are going to machine. doing it the other way will not bring in your list of tools in the operations manager, just trying to help

toolpath - job setup - tools - right click in tool manager - get from library - find tool library - highlight tools needed - click ok.

i do it all the time, i have different libraries for different type of materials, machines etc.
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Quote Originally Posted by CNC_BOB View Post
    kojak,

I checked my MC9 and it does have a tool library but as I mentioned before I found it easier to have a "fake" file that has a bunch of tools in it, open that first (that is key) then do "file merge" with the actual part you are going to machine. doing it the other way will not bring in your list of tools in the operations manager, just trying to help
    Ok I see it now ...

Thanks for all the help ...

I just keep programming and I will have for example 10 tools thru 10 for the first machine and another 10 tools 1 thru 10 again. Mastercam will just post the tools used for those ops . This way I keep using the same file from Roughing to Finish.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

You can have a different tool Lib for each machine. Copy the Tool Library and re-name it for your machine (i.e. Tools-Mazak.TL9. Just select that library when you start programming for the Mazak.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com