586,728 active members*
3,488 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Questions for pcnc1100 owners.. part size limitation

Questions for pcnc1100 owners.. part size limitation

Hello all,

I am strongly considering the Tormach PCNC 1100 mill. looking at getting their super package. I am a fabricator and welder for performance automotive parts and have a little experience in CNC from college in machine and tool design classes. mainly Cam software training and CNC Lathe operations.

I saw the pricing on this Tormach and almost fell out of my chair.. I remember thinking of CNC Mills as too far out of reach pricewise for a beginner/hobbiest.

My questions to you guys is regarding the size of the parts you can make with this machine. I see the travel distances and would assume that the part must fall inside that envelope. is this correct? If I wanted to make a prototype cylinder head design for testing purposes dimensions of the part would be cut from a 6x8x20 block. I have a long way to go in learning the capabilities of this machine but would like to mainly do small jobs with it. The head would be prototype work and not production obviously that would be an outsourced part for production or most likely casting and then machining.

so what is the biggest stuff you guys are making with this machine?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

The datasheet says 18" of X travel, so with a 1/2" end mill you have just under 17.5" of exterior machining, conversly it could lend you up to 19" of pocketing with a 1" endmill (or so).
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

I never considered that! most of my work will be within the confines of the cylinder head which has an outside dimension of ~19.5" and the valve cover rails on the outside are 1/4" min. thickness. Now my wheels are turning. I was considering maybe it was possible to machine to a certain point then move the head over and re-zero and start again.. the cylinder head itself is not terribly tolerance critical (with exception) as long as the machining of the locations of valves and chambers and other items for moving parts are within spec. obviously I need to get aquainted with the software used to know what is possible and what is silliness in my head..lol

Regarding the 4th axis, is this setup on end to where the part can rotate similar to a lathe (back and forth though) or is it designed to act as a rotating table flat on the mill bed? still learning so please forgive my ignorance. the machines I worked with 12 years ago in college were not as up to date as what is available now days.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I was considering maybe it was possible to machine to a certain point then move the head over and re-zero and start again..
    Thanks in advance!

Chris
    maybe you could bolt down a compound slide table to the Tprmach to increase size with out having to unbolt cyclinder.
    The 4th axis can be used at any angle

If its prototype work then do as you say, just reposition the part on the table for each cylinder and re-zero. The 4th axis rotary table can be either horizontal or vertical on the table and aligned with either the x or the y axis, normally with the x axis. The 4th axis lathe spindle is aligned horizontally with the x axis.

Phil

I never considered that! most of my work will be within the confines of the cylinder head which has an outside dimension of ~19.5" and the valve cover rails on the outside are 1/4" min. thickness. Now my wheels are turning. I was considering maybe it was possible to machine to a certain point then move the head over and re-zero and start again.. the cylinder head itself is not terribly tolerance critical (with exception) as long as the machining of the locations of valves and chambers and other items for moving parts are within spec. obviously I need to get aquainted with the software used to know what is possible and what is silliness in my head..lol

Regarding the 4th axis, is this setup on end to where the part can rotate similar to a lathe (back and forth though) or is it designed to act as a rotating table flat on the mill bed? still learning so please forgive my ignorance. the machines I worked with 12 years ago in college were not as up to date as what is available now days.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I would contact Tormach direct and give them your parameters, as I'm sure they wouldn't want to sell you a machine and then have it come back . Generally, table travel is measured as total, so the 18" probably means 9" each direction from center, but its always a good to be 100% sure before ordering. I once considered one of the Smithy 3 in 1 units that advertised a long travel on the X axis, until I realized the travel was nearly all in one direction due to the closeness of the mill head to the lathe spindle, making the useable travel far less.

Good Advise from all of you. I am very excited about machine work and always have been.. I am simply ecstatic about these affordable machines that are available now.. they really give some dreamers the opportunity to spread their wings a little bit.. I look forward to talking to the main man at Tormach and getting the skinny from him on the ideas I have to see what this machine will be able to accomplish with alot of time and patience.

Thanks again guys!

PS. Does anyone have any show and tell of what they have made on their Tormach's? very interested in seeing first hand any intricate projects with some decent size to them and maybe even video!!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Lcvette,
    From your part description and screen name it sounds like you have an idea for a smallblock chevy head. As you can see from my name, I am a chevy guy also. On my old Shoptask machine I did a lot of head work- valve seats, screw in rocker studs etc. Even though the machine did not have the capacities to do everything in one pass, with some patience and jigs I made myself, I could do most everything in a couple of setups. After I sold the Shoptask, I got the new Patriot model which has a larger envelope, and I have also dreamed of hacking something out of a big aluminum billet. My machine is all setup for the CNC drives, but I just haven't got up the gumption yet to spend the money and start learning. I agree about the whole industry, I can remember when most machine shops did not have CNC machines let alone guys in their garages.

Yeah... that is rpecisely one of the driving forces for me to make a large purchase.. I know I will not be able to manufacture heads with such a small machine (for that type of production), but to be able to get the programming put together and have a test part that you can use and abuse and see how it performs.. that is whaI am most interested in.. so many things I always wished I could make or have to do something or make the job I was doing a little bit easier. I started buying little metal working tools like grinders and saws and then welding equipment, band saws, drill presses.. but always wanted to do more precise machine work.. I was actually looking at some of the small mills at Harbor Freight and did a quick search and the otrmach popped up and I said no no no.. that price must be for a tool for that machine.. then I read a little bit more and said holy**** that isn't unaffordable at all.. so here I am, ready to drop the money to finally have something to put ideas into action.. if I don't do it now.. I will never do it. besides you can only truly regret buying something for as long as you owe money on it..lol thats my philosophy.. and I don't forsee myself being dissapointed going in knowing what the capabilities are.. besides if it makes enough money in small jobs to payfor itself and its maintenance and I have a cool machine to work with.. I won!

Chris

I will just relate that there are a few video's on the Tormach site worth watching if you haven't seen them yet.
    http://www.tormach.com/mfg_database.htm
    Lee

I have right clicked and saved all of them and watched them with eager eyes numerous times..lol

anyone tried cutting splines on a shaft with the tormach? is there hob tools that could be made to work with the proper setup?

thanks in advance!

Chris

parts

The machine is very capable and can hold a .001" tolerance fairly well.

A suggestion for your cylinder heads is to use dowel pins to locate the part doing half of it at a time.
    Using the 4th axis to do a chevy cylinder head would indeed be an involved set-up.
    The table guarding would have to come off.
    So if you like a clean shop that will have to be delt with.

I have been slowly picking away on my hobby and here are some of the parts I have made.
    These elbows fit in very confined area and you cannot find these over the counter.
    This allowed me to use two short pieces of hose to connect the cooling system.
    The rocker covers I made for a friend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TOP SPOUT FINISHED.jpg   elbow.jpg   Dons parts.JPG   install.jpg  

most of my work will be within the confines of the cylinder head which has an outside dimension of ~19.5" and the valve cover rails on the outside are 1/4" min. thickness.
    Note that the XYZ travels that Tormach quotes for the PCNC 100 are a bit
    conservative. If you are willing to readjust the axes limit switches (at your
    own risk) I have found that the actual available (safe) travels on mine are
    18.25" x 10.5" x 17" in X, Y and Z, respectively. These travel increases are
    0.25", 1.0" and 0.75" in X, Y and Z, respectively more than the as delivered
    values. YMMV

Very Interesting indeed and good to know there is a little bit more left in her in the event one might need some extra work space with the movement boundaries!

thanks a bunch Zetopan!

Chris