587,058 active members*
3,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > I need a metric nut and I need help on where to get one

I need a metric nut and I need help on where to get one

Hey guys, I need a Metric nut. It does not have to be hex or anything. I just need 24mm in diameter, by 1.0 pitch. I hope that makes sense! If you know of a company I can buy from, or if you know somebody with the capabilities to make something like this, please respond.

Misumi appear to stock up to 60mm.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thats a pretty fine pitch for that. I checked a couple places and none had such a pitch for that diameter.
    Lee

Dear ryansuperbee,
    LeeWay is bang on the button. It is not a standard metric thread.
    Here they are...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

Somebody will do you a special.

Best wishes,
    Martin

Hi Lee. I thought it would be hard to find. I recieved the part from a placed called Avantage Industries. They build gas powered surfboards (believe it or not!) Anyway, they handed me a simple clutch assembly and asked me to make them a puller for it. Well to make the puller work, I need a nut that is M24x1. I had a feeling that this was done with a CNC lathe. Do you have any ideas as to where I could have this custom made?

Quote Originally Posted by ryansuperbee View Post
    ...... I need a nut that is M24x1. I had a feeling that this was done with a CNC lathe. Do you have any ideas as to where I could have this custom made?
    Anybody with a CNC Lathe or Mill should be able to make your nut provided you can provide the specifications. And this may be difficult, as Martin pointed out it is not a standard size/pitch combination.

You are also introducing a possible point of confusion; your first post asks for a bolt while your last says you need a nut. They are different you know (), which do you have and which do you want?

You may need to get another clutch assembly because possibly the easiest way to get someone to make what you need is to provide them with the part it is supposed to fit.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hi Geof. I requier a nut!!! no bolts! I always do that! Sorry for the typo. I can send the part out. That would not be a problem. As long as it was done in a timely manner and I was just considering the extra cost of shipping. But in the end, the customer is paying for it all. And they are a big company! The diameter is 24mm with a pitch of 1.0 I hope that clears things up. I actually do have a CNC lathe and a CNC mill! I can't see how the mill can help, the lathe can do everything that a normal CNC lathe can except for threading! (the spindle is not syncronized on the lathe. I'm working on it, I know!!!) Anymore recomendations or people you can think of that can do this would be appreciated.

Hey, all you need to make it is a lathe with a metric gearbox - most lathes can do both metric and imperial. It doesn't need to be a CNC lathe, it's an easy job. You can also do it with your cnc mill too - use a thread milling tool, like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-TM-250-C-T-T...742.m153.l1262

Cheers,

Jason

I knew that size was familiar - I cut that thread recently! It was for one of these ER collet nuts - http://www.falcontoolings.com/clampi..._spanners.html.

You could also get a tap for that size: http://www.e-taps.com/ofertapage%20003.htm

I think there is also a bearing retainer nut that size - it's available here in NZ, but may not be so common there, but they look like this: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...3090&category= except obviously m24x1.0...

Heaps of options

Jason

Hey Jason, thank you for your resourcefullness (I hope that's a word!) As far as my lathe goes, It does do metric threads. But the smallest pitch I can go to is 3. I did already think of the tap idea. That is one expensive tap though! I might just go ahead and buy it. I'm going to talk to the company I'm making this for on monday. If they give me the okay I will buy the tap. How much would you be willing to make one for? If you think $40 would be profitable enough for you. I will pay you to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansuperbee View Post
    Hey Jason, thank you for your resourcefullness (I hope that's a word!) As far as my lathe goes, It does do metric threads. But the smallest pitch I can go to is 3. I did already think of the tap idea. That is one expensive tap though! I might just go ahead and buy it. I'm going to talk to the company I'm making this for on monday. If they give me the okay I will buy the tap. How much would you be willing to make one for? If you think $40 would be profitable enough for you. I will pay you to make it.
    Hey, I'd be happy to make you one, but I'm in New Zealand - the shipping would take a couple of weeks, or cost quite a bit for the expedited service. I guess you need to get a spanner on the nut? - would the bearing retainer nut thing work?

Jason

Edit - ok, shipping isn't that expensive after all, US$8.00 for 3-10 day service

Cool Thread Engineering Software for odd sized screw threads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Anybody with a CNC Lathe or Mill should be able to make your nut provided you can provide the specifications. And this may be difficult, as Martin pointed out it is not a standard size/pitch combination.
    There is ThreadTech Software which can engineer most odd thread sizes. It available for sale, but there is a free 10-day trial of ThreadTech Software available at Gage Crib Worldwide Inc.

I hope this information will beof some assistance to you.