586,900 active members*
2,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Engraving powdercoated aluminum

Hello All - Been searching the forum for the info I need, and had no luck, so I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I build effects pedals for guitar, and use hammond type enclosures (basically pot metal). I powder coat them, and would like to look into a laser to cut in lettering, logos, drill markers, etc.

It would need to cut through the powdercoat, and leave the bare metal (which is typically somewhat polished pre-powdercoating).

Here's an example of the kind of thing I'm looking to do (not my work):

I only need a 8" square working range with 3" of height (more is always good...I'm sure we'll find more uses for it).

The Epilog Zing looks pretty great, but is a bit more than we're looking to spend (I was hoping to keep it to $5K). I'm new to the world of lasers, so a reputable company with good customer support is a must.

Any ideas of models/makes to look into?

Thanks!

Greg

would not milling the powder coat compromise the remaining coating leading to peeling? if not this should not be too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    would not milling the powder coat compromise the remaining coating leading to peeling? if not this should not be too hard.
    From my experience, it shouldn't. PC is pretty tough if cured right. Clear coat powder is an option over the top as well. What do you think is the min. wattage laser needed for the job?

I have lasered a bit of powder coated aluminum and steel, both work really well. You may have to run two passes to get it really clean, but it goes pretty fast, even with my 30 watt laser. If you had 45 or 60 watts it would help, but 30 will suffice.

Instead of shelling out $10,000, or even $5,000, for your own laser, how about subbing out the work? Even at $5,000, that's a lot of laser work that you could have someone else doing for you. That would eliminate the capital investment for you, maintenance, training, upkeep, etc. When you add it all up, you could save probably $20k by having someone else do it.

If you are interested, I would be happy to discuss further, I do a lot of outsourcing work for people like yourself.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    I have lasered a bit of powder coated aluminum and steel, both work really well. You may have to run two passes to get it really clean, but it goes pretty fast, even with my 30 watt laser. If you had 45 or 60 watts it would help, but 30 will suffice.

Instead of shelling out $10,000, or even $5,000, for your own laser, how about subbing out the work? Even at $5,000, that's a lot of laser work that you could have someone else doing for you. That would eliminate the capital investment for you, maintenance, training, upkeep, etc. When you add it all up, you could save probably $20k by having someone else do it.

If you are interested, I would be happy to discuss further, I do a lot of outsourcing work for people like yourself.

Gary
    Gary -

That is another option we'd be considering. I may send you an email for a price quote when we get further into a larger production schedule.

Thanks -

Greg

Where are you in the US? If you're in the D.C./Baltimore area (or close by and don't mind a drive), I'd be interested in selling my never-used 40W Rabbit engraver. I'm using a ULS system now, so if you do decide to sub out the work to someone...
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Re: Engraving powdercoated aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by gmr1 View Post
    From my experience, it shouldn't. PC is pretty tough if cured right. Clear coat powder is an option over the top as well. What do you think is the min. wattage laser needed for the job?
    I am interested in this series of processes (I want to remove powder coat using CNC or laser). I am concerned about corrosion on the exposed aluminum surface. Clear coat is an option, but I dont want to clear coat the whole part. Are there any other solutions out there people have used?

Re: Engraving powdercoated aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post

Gary
    What settings do you use if you don't mind me asking.