586,792 active members*
2,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 E-stop and Mach3
Page 1 of 2 12

G540 E-stop and Mach3

How do I get Mach3 to know when I trip the e-stop on the G540?
    I may already know but I was hoping I would not have to install a breakout board.

Fred

It is available on DB25 pin 15.

Mariss

The 540 has an integrated bob, you don't need another one. Configure your e-stop in mach to use the pin Mariss indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    The 540 has an integrated bob, you don't need another one. Configure your e-stop in mach to use the pin Mariss indicated.

I tried that and it does not work. As far as I can tell the G540 does not send a signal to any pin at all.

How is your E-stop wired to the G540? And in Mach3, is it set to port 1, pin 15? Active high or active low?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    How is your E-stop wired to the G540? And in Mach3, is it set to port 1, pin 15? Active high or active low?
    It is wired to pins 10 and 12 on the G540. Yes Mach3 is set to port 1, pin 15 and I have tried active high and low with no luck. In Mach3 Diagnoses there is no signal detected on any pin when the e-stop is tripped. Are you saying that pin 10 on the G540 corresponds to pin 15 in Mach3?

You have it wired correctly:

From G540 manual:

7) E-STOP SWITCH: Connect a single pole, single throw (SPST) switch to the DISABLE input Pos 10 on the MAIN
    TERMINAL BLOCK. The other end of the switch goes to Pos 12 on the terminal block. Opening the switch disables
    the G540 and closing the switch enables it. While disabled, the motors freewheel (zero torque) and the OUTPUT
    terminals shut off.

See wiring diagram:

http://geckodrive.com/upload/G540%20REV3%20MANUAL.pdf

Setup guide:

http://geckodrive.com/upload/G540InitialSetup.pdf

Make sure your parallel port is working and your parallel cable is "straight thru"

CR

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    You have it wired correctly:

From G540 manual:

7) E-STOP SWITCH: Connect a single pole, single throw (SPST) switch to the DISABLE input Pos 10 on the MAIN
    TERMINAL BLOCK. The other end of the switch goes to Pos 12 on the terminal block. Opening the switch disables
    the G540 and closing the switch enables it. While disabled, the motors freewheel (zero torque) and the OUTPUT
    terminals shut off.

See wiring diagram:

http://geckodrive.com/upload/G540%20REV3%20MANUAL.pdf

Setup guide:

http://geckodrive.com/upload/G540InitialSetup.pdf

Make sure your parallel port is working and your parallel cable is "straight thru"

CR
    The G540 works fine and shuts down fine with the e-stop, it just does not tell Mach3 the e-stop has been tripped and the program keeps running. It worked fine before when I had a break-out board for the e-stop but I wanted to get rid of the extra wiring and break-out board and wire it thru the G540 and now it does not shut down Mach3. If the G540 sends a signal to pin 15 is it high or low. I am using the same cable now as I did with the break-out board.

Here is a sure-fire test for the E-stop to Mach3 feedback.

1) Remove all DB9 and DB25 cables from the G540.
    2) Set the slide switch to IGNORE CHARGE PUMP.
    3) Jumper DISABLE term 10 to terminal 12.
    4) Connect power supply to terminals 11 and 12. You should get a green LED.
    5) Measure the voltage on DB15 to DB25 gnd. It should be 0VDC.
    6) Disconnect DISABLE jumper. You should get a red LED.
    7) Measure the voltage on DB15 to DB25 gnd. It should be 3.3VDC or more.

If you get those results then the G540 is sending an E-stop signal back to Mach3.

Mariss

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post

If you get those results then the G540 is sending an E-stop signal back to Mach3.

Mariss
    Thanks, I will try that as soon as I can and report back.

The problem seems to be with Mach 3. (I'm running an older version - 2.41.)

I had the same problem. I connected a N/C switch between Main Terminal Block Position 10 (Disable) and Position 12 (Gnd). In Mach 3 Config -> Ports and Pins -> Input Signals -> E-Stop, Enabled (Green chk mark), Port 1, Pin 15, Active Low NOT checked (Red X), Emulated NOT checked (Red X). When I clicked the Reset button in Mach 3, the G540 status LED flashed Red -> Green -> Red. On the Diagnostic's screen, the Emergency LED continuously flashed.

The solution was to check-mark the "ChargePump ON in E-stop under General Config:

Config -> General Config -> Check mark the box [ChargePump On in E-stop] under General Config sub-section.

After making that change, the Mach 3 reset button works properly and the G540 is enabled (Green LED ON). When the E-stop on the G540 is opened (change from N/C to N/O), the G540's status changes to RED and Mach 3 receives the E-stop signal causing Mach 3 to properly stop. However, pressing the Mach 3 Reset button multiple times only toggles the E-stop on Mach 3; the G540 stays enabled. (I'm assuming that that is exactly what is supposed to happen, i.e., the G540's E-stop should disable the G540 and send an E-stop signal to Mach 3, but when Mach 3's Reset button is pressed, only Mach 3 stops and G540 is able to continue to send power to the stepper motors.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post

Mariss
    I checked all the steps above and when the e-stop is not pressed I got 0 volts when I trip the e-stop I only get 0.11 Volts?????

Quote Originally Posted by Richards View Post
    The problem seems to be with Mach 3. (I'm running an older version - 2.41.)

I had the same problem. I connected a N/C switch between Main Terminal Block Position 10 (Disable) and Position 12 (Gnd). In Mach 3 Config -> Ports and Pins -> Input Signals -> E-Stop, Enabled (Green chk mark), Port 1, Pin 15, Active Low NOT checked (Red X), Emulated NOT checked (Red X). When I clicked the Reset button in Mach 3, the G540 status LED flashed Red -> Green -> Red. On the Diagnostic's screen, the Emergency LED continuously flashed.

The solution was to check-mark the "ChargePump ON in E-stop under General Config:

Config -> General Config -> Check mark the box [ChargePump On in E-stop] under General Config sub-section.

After making that change, the Mach 3 reset button works properly and the G540 is enabled (Green LED ON). When the E-stop on the G540 is opened (change from N/C to N/O), the G540's status changes to RED and Mach 3 receives the E-stop signal causing Mach 3 to properly stop. However, pressing the Mach 3 Reset button multiple times only toggles the E-stop on Mach 3; the G540 stays enabled. (I'm assuming that that is exactly what is supposed to happen, i.e., the G540's E-stop should disable the G540 and send an E-stop signal to Mach 3, but when Mach 3's Reset button is pressed, only Mach 3 stops and G540 is able to continue to send power to the stepper motors.)

When I get home tonight I will try this.

OK, I have tried every suggestion here and no luck. I still only get 0.11 on pin 15 when the e-stop is tripped. I guess I need to see about getting a replacement G540.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    OK, I have tried every suggestion here and no luck. I still only get 0.11 on pin 15 when the e-stop is tripped. I guess I need to see about getting a replacement G540.

Fred
    Well I e-mailed Gecko with my problem we will see what they suggest.

Let's review what has to happen for the Gecko G540 to work:

1. +V (+18VDC to +50VDC) connected to main terminal block, position 11

2. Ground connected to main terminal block, position 12

3. Normally closed E-stop switch connected to terminal block, positions 10 and 12. A jumper wire can be used for testing.

4. Charge pump must configured to send signals through DB25, pin 16, or the Charge Pump Switch on the G540's mother board must be turned to the off position.

With, the Charge Pump switch turned off and with a jumper wire between Main Terminal Block positions 10 and 12, you should get a green light when the DB25 cable is disconnected.

After verifying that the G540 works, turn the Charge Pump switch back on (unless you decide to run without a Charge Pump input from Mach 3).

In Mach 3, you need to configure ports and pins to accommodate the G540. Do the following:

FOR TESTING PURPOSES:

1. Config -> Ports & Pins -> Input Signals -> E-stop checked, port 1, input #10, Active Low = RED X, Emulated = RED X (for testing purposes!). Verify that Main Terminal Block, position #1 is NOT connected to anything.

2. Config -> Ports & Pins -> Output Signals -> Charge Pump, port 1, output #16, Active Low = RED X (polarity should not matter).

At this point, you should get a Green LED when you click the Reset button in Mach 3.

FOR PRODUCTION:

1. Config -> Ports & Pins -> Input Signals -> E-stop checked, port 1, input #15, Active Low = RED X, Emulated = RED X.

2. Config -> Ports & Pins -> Output Signals -> Charge Pump, port 1, output #16, Active Low = RED X (polarity should not matter).

3. Config -> General Config ... -> ChargePump On in EStop checked.

-----

I just went through the entire sequence to verify the steps and those steps worked for me, both in testing mode as well as in production mode.

Let's review what has to happen for the Gecko G540 to work:

1. +V (+18VDC to +50VDC) connected to main terminal block, position 11

Yes
    2. Ground connected to main terminal block, position 12

Yes
    3. Normally closed E-stop switch connected to terminal block, positions 10 and 12. A jumper wire can be used for testing.

Yes
    4. Charge pump must configured to send signals through DB25, pin 16, or the Charge Pump Switch on the G540's mother board must be turned to the off position.

Switch is off
    With, the Charge Pump switch turned off and with a jumper wire between Main Terminal Block positions 10 and 12, you should get a green light when the DB25 cable is disconnected.

Yes
    After verifying that the G540 works, turn the Charge Pump switch back on (unless you decide to run without a Charge Pump input from Mach 3).

I am not using input switch in bypass
    In Mach 3, you need to configure ports and pins to accommodate the G540. Do the following:

FOR TESTING PURPOSES:

1. Config -> Ports & Pins -> Input Signals -> E-stop checked, port 1, input #10, Active Low = RED X, Emulated = RED X (for testing purposes!). Verify that Main Terminal Block, position #1 is NOT connected to anything.

OK

OK
    At this point, you should get a Green LED when you click the Reset button in Mach 3.

Yes
    FOR PRODUCTION:

1. Config -> Ports & Pins -> Input Signals -> E-stop checked, port 1, input #15, Active Low = RED X, Emulated = RED X.

Yes

Yes
    3. Config -> General Config ... -> ChargePump On in EStop checked.

Yes
    -----

I just went through the entire sequence to verify the steps and those steps worked for me, both in testing mode as well as in production mode.
    G540 Works fine and shuts down fine with e-stop tripped but I still get no signal on pin 15 when e-stop is tripped.

Fred

Fred,

DB25, pin 15 is a signal from the G540 to Mach 3 to signal Mach 3 that someone or something has opened the G540's Normally Closed E-Stop switch.

On Mach 3's diagnostics screen, the Emergency LED should be On when the E-stop switch on the G540 is Open. As soon as the G540's E-stop switch is returned to its Closed position, the Emergency LED should turn Off, but you will still need to click on Mach 3's Reset button to restart Mach 3.

Fred,

DB25, pin 15 is a signal from the G540 to Mach 3 to signal Mach 3 that someone or something has opened the G540's Normally Closed E-Stop switch.

On Mach 3's diagnostics screen, the Emergency LED should be On when the E-stop switch on the G540 is Open. As soon as the G540's E-stop switch is returned to its Closed position, the Emergency LED should turn Off, but you will still need to click on Mach 3's Reset button to restart Mach 3.
    Please, I am not an idiot. I have been using this setup for months with a break-out board with NO problems. I know how it works and it is set up right I am sorry but I`m getting a little frustrated that people think your an idiot because you have a problem. I am convinced it is a hardware issue with the G540. On Mach 3 diagnostics screen I get nothing. Everything still runs, the G540 is just not sending 3 volts to pin 15, when the e-stop is tripped it goes from 0 volts to 0.11 volts so it is trying to send the voltage but it must have a component failure ( bad cap, resister etc.) that is reducing the current.???

No one is calling you an idiot. We're trying to solve a problem and solving problems can be tedious as well as frustrating.

You may have a faulty G540, but you also may just have a faulty setting somewhere. Mach 3 allows you to assign almost everything. When I first hooked up my G540 in place of a PMDX-122, I had to re-assign everything. I had Pin 15 assigned to something else, so I had to do some head scratching before I found out that I couldn't have two different functions assigned to the same pin.

Have you checked all of the Config screens to verify that pin 15 was not previously assigned to something else with your old Break-Out-Board? It never hurts to check again. If you send the device back, and it passes the tests that you've already run, you'll just get a note saying that they could find nothing wrong and you'll still have a problem to solve.

We get emotionally attached to our problems and we get frustrated when we have tried again and again and again to perform a very simple operation, but electronics don't care about our emotions. They do exactly what we tell them to do, unless they are broken. The fact that the signal goes from 0V to 0.11V tells me that something else is connected to that signal that is pulling the signal LOW. Most TTL type logic has the ability to pull LOW 10X better than it can pull HIGH. So, step back, one more time, and take a fresh look at the various Mach 3 Config screens.

I've been in the computer business for more than thirty years and I still get tripped up from time to time. Just last week I set up a new Samba server, something that I've done more than 100 times - without any kind of problem, because it is such a simple operation. Finally, after struggling for more than half a day, I asked someone in that company to watch over my shoulder while I checked the settings one more time. To make it as simple as possible, I set up a split screen so that we could see the configuration file from a working Samba server at the same time we examined the configuration file on the new Samba server. Since these are minimal machines doing simple tasks, there are only about a dozen lines to modify. My 'helper' spotted the problem immediately. I had left off a trailing '.' when I set the network IP address, i.e. 192.168.0. was 192.168.0 - without a trailing '.'.

Problem solving is tedious, especially when everything worked before installing a new device. Please check one more time - just to be sure.

One last note: On the G540 schematic that I downloaded from either Geckodrive or the Gecko group on Yahoo.com, it shows that DB25, pin 15 is not pulled High by the G540 motherboard. Instead, it is pulled high by whatever device is connected to the DB-25 cable. In other words, without a DB-25 cable attached to the G540, the collector for pin 15 on the ILQ74 chip just floats. The schematic does not show any internal pull-up resistor. That's just what a device that SINKS current is supposed to do. If it's connected to something, it SINKS current, otherwise it does nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12