586,704 active members*
2,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 4th/5th axis

4th/5th axis

Dear pro/mfg users.

I'm planning to build a 4th and a 5th axis on my cnc mill but I would first like to know how to work with it in MFG. I know I can use 5 axis with milling in mfg but I don't know how to do this. Information about this on internet is lacking so I hope someone overhere could help me a little bit with this. For example is it possible to select an axis which the mentioned axis is using to turn over and save this in a template?

Regards,
    Bart

Additional package needed...

What version of Pro/E do you have? If it is Wildfire 3 or 4, you will need the "Complete Manufacturing Package" to achieve 5th axis. "Production Machining" will do 4th axis and "Prismatic and Multi-Surface" will do 3 axis.
    Just want to make sure you have the necessary package.

I've got wildfire 3.0 and the complete manufacturing package. Also the expert machinist module. But I'm used to work with the standard manufacturing module. In the operation settings it's possible to select the number of axis that will be used. When making a milling sequence the number of axis is also asked but I don't know how to 'tell' pro/mfg which axis can be used to rotate over.

Thanks,
    Bart

Hej Bart,

Well, as you said you choose how many axises your machine has in the Operation setup. When choosing a NC Sequence you are left to specify how many axis to use for that specific sequence. Now some sequqnces are 3axis only (volume comes to mind).

For sequences that are 3axis you simply choose "Coord Sys" in the SEQ SETUP and pick an alternate cordinate system. The Z axis of this coord system is your tool axis and you basically then have an indexed rotation (prismatic machining). The X and Y direction controls how the coordinates are transformed depending on your postprocessor.

For 4axis sequences you (optionally) choose a local coordinate system, as above, and then you also need to specify a "4 axis plane" which will NOT be tiltes, i.e. standing still.

For 5 axis sequences, again you (optionally) select a local coordinate system, but then you need to define the tool direction and that differs between different sequences. If you don't do anything, Pro/NC will try to keep the tool vector orthogonal from the surface machined at the tool tip. You can alter this by using pivot axises, pivot points etc. For a surface sequence you can find theese settings under Axis Def, in SEQ SETUP.

Good luck with your multiaxis machining and let me know if you need more info,

Jonas

Jonas,

Thanks for this tips. I got Pro/mfg running on 4 axis now. But I also got some further questions about it.
    I made a simple square part which I tried to machine on 3 sides. On two sides I made a pocket and on the top a round as a closed loop.
    Making the two pockets is pretty easy doing it the way you told me. So using different coordinate systems. But does Pro/mfg always use the machine coordinates for making the G-code? I guess this is neccesary to tell the machine exactly what to do.
    I also tried to do a 4axis profile sequence on the inner (round) sides of the pockets and the round on the top of the part. This sequence brought me into some problems. When milling the pockets on the side of the part the tool doesn't rotate around the part but goes straight through the part and starts to mill this area from the top side of the part. To be clear I made a retract surface around the part so the tool doesn't have to retract to the top of the part. When milling the round on the top square of the part the tool machines two opposite edges as it suppose to be. On the other two sides pro/mfg turns the tool along the edge and pulls it up. This means the shaft of the tool will hit the part earlier than the cutting part of the tool.

It turns out to be a long story, I hope you understand what I mean and can explain me how to do this.

Thanks,
    Bart

Hej Bart,

I think I'm gonna need to take a look at the mfg to answer your question here. Would you be able to attach the files as a zip here? I'll be out of office monday/tuesday but can look at it after that.

Since it seems like a testpart maybe it would be ok to share it? If not I'll try to answer anyways, wednesday.

Thanks, J

Machine coordinate system

Bart,

You are correct the G-code is all calculated off the Machine coordinate system. You probably already know it but you can specify a mach_sys for each operation. Do you have access to PTCU ?

Larry

Jonas,

No problem sharing it. It's a very simple testpart. As you can see I made a finishcut with a surface mill sequence because I can't select "4-axis" in a finish sequence. Why isn't that possible since it's the most used 4/5axis milling sequence?
    It seems you are working in a company while using MFG, do you have a big database for cutting parameters and tools? I always got problems with uploading parameters in mfg.

Larry,
    unfortunately I don't have direct access to PTCU but if you have a link or something which can help me I can get access via my work. I know it's possible to link a coordinate_system to different operations.

Thanks for helping me.
    Bart
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hej,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you
    That's the downside of free support I guess. Anyways, I think your files are in WF and Ionly have wf3 installed. Gonna try out wf4 anyways so I will install that and get back to you.

/Jonas

Jonas,

These files are Wildfire 3 M040.

Bart

Bart,

The mfg file would not open on my machine, but the .prt file does. I may be missing something but is this the part you are trying to use 4th axis on? If so, why? I do not see any features that require a 4th axis. Again I may be missing something either on the file or in my comprehension of what you are trying to do. The part as I see it is basically a rectangular block with a round on two edges and a pocket on two faces. Your workpiece has basically the same dimensions so I am not sure how you are going to fixture the part so no facing operations are needed. Just a "Trajectory" with a 5.0 rounding tool in one operation (which will have its csys). Followed by two other operations for the other sides. Each operation having two NC sequences a pocket with a flat end mill and a trajectory with a ball or bull nose. Each operation will have its own csys.

Larry

Larry,

I know this part isn't really a four axis part. But I just wanted to try if Pro/Mfg could make an 4 axis movement, for example for the rounds in the pockets. I just made a simple test to try if it's possible but it seems the tool doesn't take account with the part or workpiece. Even when I select some check surfaces the tool goes straight through the part.

Bart

any news on this?

encountered the same problem...

Ask about cutting method on milling-turning 5 axes machine

Hi JonasC, BartL and every one! I'm please to know you. I'm learning about in processing methods on milling-turning 5 axes machine. currently, i'm having a problem in the processing of boundary friction stock car crankshaft. That i had sent in attachment.
    If you could, please tell me how to process surface A (the blue surface as in picture). This Cranhk shaft is prossed on 5 axes machine: x, y, z, B, C; C is control rotate axis. Please help me!
    Thank you very much!
    Have a good day!
    __vũtoàn__pleasure
    [email protected]====
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hoi ja cong.JPG