587,003 active members*
2,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

And a video of it running:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpbJZdD8GiM"]YouTube - Home made CNC test[/ame]

Hi - nice project. I really like the fixed gantry and enclosed nature of the frame design.

I am not sure, but you might need some dampers on the motors based on the sound in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Hi - nice project. I really like the fixed gantry and enclosed nature of the frame design.

I am not sure, but you might need some dampers on the motors based on the sound in the movie.
    thank you; it's entirely possible. I really don't know much about dampers so any info would be welcome. What would they improve?

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    That is an interesting design and congrats on getting it moving. Do you plan to make a housing around it?
    I do, in fact it's already in progress. I'll get some more pics as soon as the enclosure is finished. I plan to have the whole thing boxed in in hopes of running coolant when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post
    ahh lemme guess... umm... CNC setup and running on the kitchen counter.. hmm. Bachelor by any chance?
    lol, guilty. I'm pretty well used to explaining myself to some degree whenever I bring a new girl home. ("so.....what do you do for a living again??") To be fair, I did have an ex who let me set up lab tables in the living room for this kind of thing.

This is the first thing we cut with it (back out in the garage, that is, not in my kitchen):

It's proving to be very strong. At 70ipm I can put all my weight into trying to stop it and it won't miss a step. Nothing flexes or binds. I can't wait to see what all I can do with this thing.