586,068 active members*
4,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Want to update Multicam router

Hi All. Well I have been a member here for around four years and here's my first ever post! I've always dreamed of building a 3 axis machine but time has not permitted. Recently I needed to use a local business with a CNC router and subsequently I have become friends with the owner. He has a Multicam 3 axis machine and bought the business as a going concern from the previous owner. As it stands, he's running a DOS based software package and has restricted his work to doing 2D profiles. When I asked him if he could do some 3D work for me he responded that he didn't have a good enough understanding of the software to attempt it. I'm on a mission now to find out if there is an economical route to upgrade his machine via a new controller and software that will give him 3D capabilities. I'd appreciate any advice the members could offer. Here's some pictures of the machine and controller.

The motors that run the gantry are steppers but they were under covers and the machine was working so I couldn't get a snap of them. Thanks in advance for any advice.

i am gonna venture to say the motors are nema 34 base's and are 1.8 degree steppers, if you can get the specs off the end of the motors (amps) and see if he has any documentation on the machine, can you see a name or model number for the drives, power supply etc. i would try a free file from vector art 3d (he gives you the software free) and try a sample file first. chances are the machine is ok! doss controllers were great!! it is just a controller and if the machine will handle not loosing steps you might have something there. i converted machine from dos to wincnc and later found it was my 1/2 step anaheim drives that were my limitation, i have since completed a complete retrofit to wincnc, keling motors, geckos, and 72v power supply,
    2000-2500& actual cost to have someone do it is 4000+ now the machine is a 3d speed machine.

try a file first,

www.vectorart3d.com

download his 3d machinist program (free) and his sample file (free) then run a small one at default size after that expand it to say 12" and see if there is a difference

what is the file extension that goes to the machine .tap .nc ? and what is the software he is using to create the file

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Thanks Jim :)

Thanks for the response Jim.

I'll check into the file extension and have a look at the software you've suggested. I think the main difficulty with this situation is the owners reluctance to alter a machine that is currently working and making money for him.

The best outcome I can see is that new software can be brought in to work with the existing electronics. If i can, I'll get the specs off the stepper motors.

I know he's got two pallets of MDF to cut this week so i may have to hang back until this job has gone through.

my bet is the machine will do it as is!!

jim

you can also go to vectrics site www.vectric.com and download thier demos for all of thier software, there are demo files you can run as well

jim

Hi,

I know that some of the Australian Multicam brand (different company here in the US) machines were made by AXYZ in Canada:

http://www.axyz.com/

AXYZ has great support and can probably answer your questions if they, indeed, manufactured this router.

Art Pentz (AXYZ machine owner).