586,882 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Digitizing and Laser Digitizing > What is the Best Video/Laser Digitizing Solution for Under $1,000.00 USD

What is the Best Video/Laser Digitizing Solution for Under $1,000.00 USD

Hello, I would like to incorporate a digitizing process for my armory (gunsmithing) business. The specific application is to digitize existing firearm parts so that additional copies of that part may be made. For example, a customer brings me an antique firearm with a damaged part which is no longer available for sale. I would like to be able to digitize the part, modify the resulting 3D model (to correct the damaged areas), and recreate a fairly close copy of the original.

The budget is $1,500.00 USD for the digitizing hardware and software. I already own several applictions including Aspire V2 and Alibre w/ Alibre CAM that will create toolpaths from STL or other 3D Model files. I believe that these applications should be sufficient to machine the part after the digitized part model has been modified. Alibre CAM should be able to make use of a 4th axis to machine multi-sided objects.

The solution does NOT need to be "ultra-accurate", by which I mean +/-0.005 or better is acceptable, as final finishing of parts would be by hand anyway.

I have the necessary machines and tooling to do the actual machining, so the budget applies to the scanning/digitizing hardware and any additional necessary software required.

The solution should meet the following criteria:

1. Falls under the $1,500.00 budget limit.

2. Can digitize parts within about +/-0.005 inch (five thousandths of an inch) or better.

3. Digitizing of a part can be done "quickly". This is a comparative statement. Think video/laser probing vs. touch probing. I would like to be able to digitize, for example, a firearm stock measuring approximately 12" long by 5" wide in under one hour. Touch probing at a resolution of 0.005" by 0.005" would be incredibly time consuming (and tie up my CNC machine so that no machining could be done during this time).

4. Solution should be reliable for a production environment including:
    -consistent in reading the part within the +/-0.005" tolerance
    -quick initial setup (takes less than 10 work-hours to go from out-of-the-box to up-and-running)
    -good reliabilty of hardware and software (low downtime)

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to your input.
    He is more machine now than man.....

Lightbulb

Hi, I just purchased a license for this software I think it is a way to get good results for little money.

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

http://revision3.com/systm/laserscan

and I just found this in the scanner for $295 post

http://www.intricad.com/technology.html

Robert