587,465 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Single Shaft or Dual?

Whats the purpose of having a dual shaft stepper? Unless you where using both ends to drive something. I am going order my electronics tomorrow and have been browsing Keling's site and all of the G540 kits come with dual shaft motors. I would really like a single shaft. Whats better a 4 wire setup or 8? On one of the kits I noticed that if you bought everything separately it was $40 cheaper. Why, I thought there was usually a price break if you bought a kit. Still torn between a nema 23 kit or a 34. There is only a difference of 78 oz-in's of torque between the kit, is that a noticeable difference. I would really like to stick with a nema 23 kit because the motors are physically smaller and I could save around $100 also. My machine is only 24"x48" all out of aluminum, gantry weight shouldn't be no more than 40-45lbs. I am also using 1/2-10 5 start screws, think I could get by with the 23's? I am going to get this project underway next weekend and plan on having it done in a couple of weeks. I will start an official build thread if anyone is interested.
    Thanks Guys

I'm not an expert on stepper motors, but 3 uses come to mind:
    1 - A damper can be installed to balance the motor to lessen resonance and prevent your motor from stalling.
    2 - A handle can be installed to turn the motor (while power is off) for position adjustments or moving the different axis without having to power up the machine.
    I have machines with options 1 and 2. A 3rd possible use is mounting a gear to drive another lead screw for a dual drive machine, running both lead screws with the same motor.

I am sure there are other uses, and more technical explanations for dual shaft motors. Hopefully others have more info.

Thanks tjskcnc! I actually just got through looking at handles. I didn't think about being able to add a dampener to that location.

Commercially built dampers are expensive. Solsylva has a page on making your own:
    Inertial Dampers~Solsylva CNC Plans
    And these are the least expensive but highly functional handles I've come across:
    CNC Stepper Motor Crank Handle for Manual Positioning - eBay (item 330343030746 end time Mar-29-11 10:44:30 PDT)

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Maybe you can use the other shaft end to add an encoder if you someday wanted to go pseudo-servo.

Can be used for a brake as well.

I cut mine off.

I think I will get the kit from cncrouterparts.com because the motors in the kit are single shaft. Does anyone know situation with the resistors worked out? Are the current kits that are being shipped out correct?
    Thanks Guys

JJacstcy,

Glad you're considering our motor kit. We do have adapters coming in at the end of next week that will be supplied to any of our customer who have had trouble with the current set resistor. We take a lot of pride in supporting our products, which is why this whole resistor issue sort of caught us off-guard. In the 2+ years we have been selling our system, we've heard very few complaints, as the problem only seems to affect some small percentage of drives.

I just sent Marcus an email to see if I can get an update on testing at Gecko as well. I won't speak for them, but they are also a very customer-focused company, so my gut tells me they'll be working something out in the near future. Regardless, until then and beyond, we'll guarantee a working solution from CNC Router Parts.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Thanks for the reply! Are the adapters being shipped with the new orders, or is it just a wait and see if you have a problem type of thing? I have come across many threads that you have posted in and I know already how you stand behind everything! You have the nicest kit out there!
    Thanks

The adapters will be going out on an as-needed basis, or to those who request them specifically, since the kit is a little cleaner without them and usually doesn't require them. That being said, if you're uncomfortable with not having them, I can certainly send some with your order.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Just to be on the safe side I would like them. I will get everything ordered tomorrow.
    Thanks