587,256 active members*
2,812 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Small screw with back and forth motion

Small screw with back and forth motion

Not sure how to say this, but I will give it my best shot. I want to make a small contoller like a remote, "can be wired" That will control a DC motor that is attached to a leadscrew that runs a carriage on a linear rail.

I want this carriage to travel between two limit switches about 6 inches apart. I want The machine to travel the 6 inches one direction and then stop, when I throw the switch/hit button, I want the carriage to reverse direction and come to the other limit switch and stop.

So basiclly I want something that has is hooked up for a double pole double throw switch all in a nice little box. Anyone know where to find what I am looking for. Radio shack and the local electronics store were not helpful.

Sounds like a miniature garage door opener. Can you get that kind of circuitry?

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Buy a box, mount a dpdt switch in to power the motor forward or reverse. Put normally closed limit switches in series with the motor so it stops at either end. Put a diode across each limit switch so it only stops the motion in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by nophead00 View Post
    Buy a box, mount a dpdt switch in to power the motor forward or reverse. Put normally closed limit switches in series with the motor so it stops at either end. Put a diode across each limit switch so it only stops the motion in that direction.
    This is the easiest way to go. I have used this method on a similar linear axis with stops at top and bottom. Cheap, simple, reliable.

Matt