588,074 active members*
5,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Smoothing curves...

Question Smoothing curves...

Okay, I'm finally back to testing this after more than a week off...

Tonight I'm cutting a simple mold with a spherical depression - about .75" in diameter and maybe .1" deep. The code that I created (Mach 2 post processor, though I'm running Mach 3) created gcode that consists of many short, straight cuts resulting in the outside curve of the circular cuts. Where do I configure how many of these short lengths I want so that I get more smooth curves? I know it's there, just can't find it

So far, I'm very happy with this app. I'm a little slower than average at figuring out how this type of app works, but I'm getting better!

Mark

Smoother toolpath

Hello Mark,

There are two things to check.

1) The mesh tolerance in Rhino.
    If the model is shaded when you select surfaces for toolpathing, madCAM use the Rhino render mesh. To control this, please select Rhino options/mesh. The settings should be something like this for inch (custom settings, maximum dist edge to surface = 0.001, Refine mesh and Jagged seams) for mm it should be (custom settings, maximum dist edge to surface = 0.01, Refine mesh and Jagged seams). If the model isn’t shaded, madCAM will calculate the mesh and use the tolerance set from madCAM options. I would recommend to always having the model shaded when selecting for toolpaths calculation. This way is faster and if setting the flat shaded view option in Rhino, you will get what you see. Please also have a look in the madCAM help-file/select-model.

2) The tolerance set for the cutter.
    It is also a tolerance set for each cutter and this tolerance is used when calculating the toolpath. Smaller tolerance will give a smoother toolpath.

If still having trouble, you are welcome to send me the model and I will have a look and create some sample toolpaths and send it back together with settings.

Joakim

Oh Yeah!!
    That looks nice! Thanks for the help

Mark