588,227 active members*
5,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > So, I just broke a reamer...

So, I just broke a reamer...

...and since I replace the boss' tools when I do really stupid things... (yanked on the tailstock, and unlike the previous 100 times that the reamer just slid out of the bore, this time the MT4 came out of the tail stock, and proceeded to do the Big Hunk Of Metal Boogie.)

Anywho... It's just a C size, and is marked H S, with a diamond sort of emblem below it, with USA below that. Anyone have an idea as to the manufacturer?

Now to go see if I can find something heavy to drop on my head...

you have to get the exact one? just open up a tooling supply book and get another one.

Reamers from MSC Industrial Supply Co.

pick your poison

Hey, I'm just the shop monkey here, and I don't worry about "normal" wear and tear and the occasional thing that goes "snap," but when I pull a stupid human trick, I sort of feel obliged to replace what I broke... Was just hoping that someone would recognize the logo, such as it was...

****e happens man, you shouldnt feel obligated to do that, if that was the case, most ppl here would be broke. I cant imagine tapping some super alloys and breaking 20-30$ taps and paying for them, I would find another profession.

Hey, I pretty much only do it when I do Stupid Things... it's reinforcement for myself to Not Do Stupid Things... If the boss tells me to tap some blind holes 10-32 in some Super Duper Seven - well, we're gonna break some tools, but that's built into the cost of those parts... But if I'm working on a run of my muzzle brakes (which I was doing...), and stand there watching like an idiot as the chuck and MT4 start spinning above the lathe... Well, that just cost me a few bucks, and I sure won't do it again... My own projects, I try to use nothing but my own tooling... So I just bought a pair of reamers...

And thanks for the MSC link... I should have just checked there initially, and gone through looking for logos (which I did...) - Looks like it's from Cleveland...

Quote Originally Posted by bogiestl View Post
    Hey, I pretty much only do it when I do Stupid Things... it's reinforcement for myself to Not Do Stupid Things... If the boss tells me to tap some blind holes 10-32 in some Super Duper Seven - well, we're gonna break some tools, but that's built into the cost of those parts... But if I'm working on a run of my muzzle brakes (which I was doing...), and stand there watching like an idiot as the chuck and MT4 start spinning above the lathe... Well, that just cost me a few bucks, and I sure won't do it again... My own projects, I try to use nothing but my own tooling... So I just bought a pair of reamers...

And thanks for the MSC link... I should have just checked there initially, and gone through looking for logos (which I did...) - Looks like it's from Cleveland...
    dont feel bad bud, Ive snapped 3/4" solid carbide bore bars before, thats an o'crap moment.