587,798 active members*
3,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

so whats this part for/do?

so I was jogging my mill, trying to send the table flying off the x-axis for no particular reason... (well not really, but that is kinda what happened...)
    and this part comes flying out:

what is it?
    where did it come from?
    why does it exist?
    where was it trying to go?
    was it trying to attack me?

my 100% unqualified, inexperienced random guess would be that it goes on the end of the x axis lead screw, and it is some sort of 'bumper' of sorts to try and stop you from causing the table to fly off...
    if so, how does one put it back on? the screw/washer setup that looks like it is there to hold it on is very tight, the stepper can not hold the force required to turn said screw... so getting said screw out seems pretty unlikely...
    I guess I could slit it, slide it back where he is suppose(?) to go and then tape him or something? is it worth the effort?

The manual shows the part in the diagrams. Also was the machine powered up when you tried to remove the screw? If not try powering the mill up.

It is the X bumper, but look at it this way, you have more travel now.

I was just looking at those on my machine and you assumed correctly sir! I was wondering if that would stop the travel if it missed the limit switch. Maybe a radiator hose clamp around it after slitting it to get it back on. Maybe a strap wrench on the end of the shaft to hold it while trying to loosen the screw/nut?
    Good luck with it........
    mike sr

I moved my limit switches when I first got the mill, I bumped into the bumpers a few times, they never popped off tho. I just set my limits to just missing the bumper, since it references at a slow speed I was never worried, I keep track of my 10x18" machine coordinates regularly so I know I won't hit them At 150ipm...

yea machine was powered up when I tried to loosen that bolt...
    I think I may try just slitting it and using mike's hose clamp idea... seems like a bumper is a nice thing to have, but not something you necessarily want to need/use...

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    yea machine was powered up when I tried to loosen that bolt...
    I think I may try just slitting it and using mike's hose clamp idea... seems like a bumper is a nice thing to have, but not something you necessarily want to need/use...
    I think a strap wrench on the stepper coupling would hold the shaft, it would be a two man job though.
    An impact would probably break it loose as well, I would consider that as a last resort as I dont think it would be good for the ball nut stepper motor etc.
    mike sr