587,699 active members*
3,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > SOC-Machines 4-Axis Controller?

Question SOC-Machines 4-Axis Controller?

Has anyone tried this controller? At 10A continuous per channel and 4 axes for $145 (cheaper on ebay) it sounds too good to be true.

http://www.soc-machines.com/product/...ecs/MC433.html

Bryan.

I haven't tried one, but looked at the manual and have a few comments. It only does full and half step, so won't be anywhere near as smooth and quiet as a good microstepping drive. Also, it has a voltage limit of 35 volts which is fairly low. The current is not individually adjustable for each axis, and all axes must run the same current. It uses open loop PWM to limit the current as opposed to most modern drives which actually sense the current and use feedback to control the PWM.

Might be OK if you need that much current and can live with the limitations.

Talking

Thanks for the info! I was also looking at the Linistepper, but the low current output seems like a big minus. Seems like nobody dislikes anything but the price on the Geckos. Better start saving my pennies.

I'm used to high end AC servo drives at work, so this stepper thing is taking some time to learn.

Thanks again,
    Bryan.

mc433 soc machine

I have tried to get this controller working with no luck, there isfor sure some issues with this controller, vender will not return emails,

I have purchased an MC433 controller and have actually found it to work quite well. I am using 3 ea 3006B Stepper motors (purchased from SOC as well). I run Turbocnc from a booted dos image. At first I got nothing, but it was a quick fix: make sure your printer port is set to EPP in the bios, not bi-directional. After changing this motor started to respond (jittery though). After some magic blue smoke was release (I had to replace D3 I think? It fried) everything works awesome! Nice smooth steps on 3 channels (haven't tested A-axis yet). For the price it was a very good deal. I power my stepper motors using a cheap converted pc-atx power supply. The board logic power is supplied from a radio shack (The source) "wall wart" adjustable power supply. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. I'll try to help you out i think this is a great product for around $100CAN!

I just purchased a MC433G controller. Am very new to to this. May need some help connecting and setting up this unit. Would appreciate any information regarding the software and connections anyone may have.
    Thanks. Abrian

Abrian, I purchased the mc433 a couple of month's ago took a bit of mucking around to get it to work properly, thought I'd been ripped of at first but after persisting with it finally sorted it out. Make sure the stepper supply is fused as the PWM adjustment is very touchy, I blew a heap of fuses setting up the current, but blowing a fuse is better than a MOSFET, when setting the current do it with the stepper running at a very slow speed as this is when it draw's the most current. For the amount the mc433 cost I'm pretty happy with it.

hey bc201081,
    what supply are you using for you steppert and what wattage is it ?

thanks
    Bruce

Bruce,
    A 24v 10 amp Phenoix Contact power supply (240watt) is what I was using with the mc433 however, after having some issues with the board I am now using parker stepper drives. with the mc433 i could set it up to work well at high & low speed, it had to be one or the other.