587,158 active members*
3,207 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

sold work vs solid edge?

sold work vs solid edge?Is it the same company can the the file swork with each other....im thinking of using a package to design 3d model, very fimualiar with autocad but have older version no 3d stuff

want some feed back which is easy to use and more powerful feature set for software modeling

I've never used SolidEdge, however I do believe that SW & SE are very similar packages. Not to make it into a this vs that thread, but I've used SW for 4 [working on the 5th] years and LOVE the software, I've never came up against something that couldn't be modeled one way or the other. My vote would be for SW, but of course, I'm biased

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have used SW before and it was very easy to use and learn. Also tried AutoCAD and gave up two days later

The difference between SE and SW is the way you're supposed to use them and the functionality available. Actually, the 3D-engine is the same in both programs (as one buys the kernel from the other's owner...).
    I like SE, my brother like SW. I see it as a matter of taste.

Regards,
    Sven

where do u get licences for them buy online? Inever seen then in the computer stores?

Most computer stores don't carry $5000 software. Contact your local reseller.
    http://www.solidworks.com/pages/prog...e/phoneme.html
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Could you imagine trying to get tech support or training from Business Depot he he he
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

animation in solid works or solidedge?

can both pages do anaimation or design simulation to prove concepts?
    how easy it to do with these pages looking to buy one or the other looking for good feedback

I'm not sure about SE, but SW can do animated/rendered video's as well as motion simulation to some extent, it can also do alot more indepth motion simulation and FEA work if you buy the "Premium" version of the software, as well as piping/electrical/hydraulic routing etc.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

SW mechanical motion is now "smart" enough that it will recognize solids and apply motion without having to specify pivot points or whatever.

Example. You can model a chain link. Create an assembly of a multi link chain. In simulation mode you can grab 1 link and the others act/stay attched just like a real chain.

NOTE you need huge computing power to work with this type of "free form" sim.

You can also apply mass with gravity or spring pressure or..........

Hey DareBee, are you running Premium? I assume your talking about CosmosMotion? I've just [on Monday] got the approval from management to upgrade to Premium, our primary reason was CosmosDesigner and Routing while "Motion" was just an added benifit.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Actually no

I have Office Pro.

But in the "move components" dialogue use "physical dynamics" mode (make a couple of balls and push them around on a planar surface).

You can drag around free moving mechanical assemblies and see how they relate (works really well for figuring cylinder stroke lengths and pivot points).
    I use the interference detection feature frequently as well.

The spring, gravity, cam follower stuff is all part of the standard SW Simulation toolbar items.

Have you tried the NEW belt/chain stuff yet?
    Observations?

Sounds good but a haven't had the time or need to play with that feature yet.

Ah.. ok, I'm using Office [not Pro] currently, I've used lots of the physical dynamic's and interferance detection but I've not heard too much about Cosmos Motion. My understanding is it makes alot of these functions easier than having to do all those mates etc.. I've used the cam follower mate but found that it is easy to "revserse" it's self if not constrained properly.. there's a right and wrong way to use it for sure.

I've played w/ the chain/belt function but not really had a need for it. Some of the new Dynamic block stuff is pretty cool, I've used some of it a little bit.

You ever use that new Dynamic Dimension tool? One of these days I'm going to have to sit down and read through it.. figure out how to use it..

The new Fillet wizard thing is kinda cool too..

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Been awhile since I did a "what's new" update course.
    Haven't tried the dim wizard.
    I am going the way of the dinosaur.
    Too busy to play with new stuff so just leave well enough alone.

I pick up the new stuff here and there as I need it.
    Sheetmetal and weldments are 2 sections that have been getting major updates the last couple of years so I learn the new stuff there pretty quick.

I really don't know how a ever made money designing framing and structure before the weldment feature was added (was it 05 I think). Now it is mere minutes to the shop floor WITH a cut list that I don't have to make - love it.

Ya I hear ya, our Reseller usually puts a free 1 day course on for us [well, 1 hr drive away] and they go through all the new features and all that jazz. This year they didn't have enough attendance to warrent a course [kinda ticked me off] so I missed out on seeing all the new "stuff" in action. It'd be nice if they would put video's of it up in the customer portal of their site, that'd be a help anyway. The sheet metal and weldment stuff is pretty sweet. I've got a couple projects under my belt which where 90% made of those two, and the final assemblys had like 1500+parts [about 4-500 unique parts] that was pretty sweet to see go together and actually FIT everywhere.. sometimes there would be little tweak's that needed done to help the guy's when breaking but... most of it was just break it and place it and it fit.. We did 8 unit's and I think I used like.. 3-4000 sheets of paper for the drawings.. I've got a stack of old drawings on my desk about 15" high.. [each unit had it's own set of serial number drawings that went w/ it]

It sounds like '08 is going to be another smashing year for upgrades, we'll have to see how things transpire. We're adding a second user here at work so I'm sure I'll hear from him about the new features [he's going for the full software course in 3 weeks]

L8tr
    Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

I used SE about 6 years ago. It was nice enough, but I got to attend a SW training seminar. I was very impressed with SW. I liked it better than SE. I also have a 90-day trial version for attending. they said that I could distribute freely to friends (have to call SW and get a key). Maybe I could get with someone about sending a copy of the disk or something. I would only do this once or twice. I don't want to be a disk distributor to everyone in this forum.