586,035 active members*
3,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > solidowrks file issue

solidowrks file issue

I'm a little rusty on BOBcad. I was given this solidworks file anyone know why it won't show up? I load it and it shows me a blank screen. tried to upload it and it says invalid on here. it's an sldprt extension.it's just text

Re: solidowrks file issue

right click the file and choose "send to-compressed zip" to zip it and attach it here....

What version of bobcad are you using, and what version of solidworks as used? Might be a issue of your bobcad being older then the version of solidworks. You can ask for a step, or iges file.
    Work: Hurco VMX42/VMX50 - Shopsabre 4896 - Bobcad V4 4axis pro
    Home: RF45 with Ajax CNC Controller - Bobcad V27 3 axis pro

I use solidworks a lot, and have had occasional parts that would not load. Put it IGES and it will load just dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman2332 View Post
    I use solidworks a lot, and have had occasional parts that would not load. Put it IGES and it will load just dandy.
    Can you tell me how to convert a sldprt file to iges or step. In doing some research I understand it can be done, but it's a little confusing to me as to how. Thanks

"save as"

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    "save as"
    When I open it in eDrawings and try to save as, the closest file that will open in Bob Cad is a stl file. But I can't work with it, for instance to do a wire frame and measure what the redii are for this part. Besides eDrawings is there another way to open the sldprt file? Thanks

All software vendors use a proprietary file format, partly because the industry can't and don't want to collaborate but just as much to bugger about one another's users. Save as, from the native package, i.e. Solidworks.
    If someone else is supplying the file ask them for it in STEP & IGES, one of the two should work,

- Nick

Thanks Nick, I will ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by stude8 View Post
    When I open it in eDrawings and try to save as, the closest file that will open in Bob Cad is a stl file. But I can't work with it, for instance to do a wire frame and measure what the redii are for this part. Besides eDrawings is there another way to open the sldprt file? Thanks
    One way to do it if you don`t have access to Solidworks is to try Onshape, www.onshape.com, it is an online CAD system just like Solidworks and will accept the import of .sldprt files, you can then export the file back to your PC as a .stp (STEP) or .iges (IGES) format so you can work on it in BobCAD. You will need either Firefox or Chrome browser as it doesn`t support MS Internet Explorer and have WebGL enabled on your PC

For light users Onshape is FREE, you can have up to 10 Private Documents up to a total of 100Mb in your account at any one time and it is easy to use, I use it regularly

If you don`t want to do it yourself then try Zipping up the .sldprt file you have and uploading it here and either I will do it for you or maybe someone with Solidworks will do it for you in their software but as has already been said it all depends on the version of Solidworks (Year) and the version of BobCAD (V**) as there is a problem with older BobCAD versions and later Solidworks files

If it is a proprietry document that you can`t put on a public Forum like this then PM me and I will give you an email adress to send the file to and I can do it that way for you

Using Onshape gets round all that problem and it is a great CAD software as well, as I said I use it regularly

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Rob
    I did set up an account on Onshape. I was then able to import my sldprt file. At that point I could have actually made modifications to it or used it as is. I chose to use as is and exported it to my desktop. A tip to those that want to use it. You must "fish" around a bit to find the import box and the export box. They are in 2 locations.Next I went to my V25 version of Bobcad and imported the file from my desktop. Then changing the part to wireframe I was able to measure what the corner radius is on the whole part. All this razmataz just to know what corner rounding end mill to order! It was all worth it because I learned something today and maybe it will be helpful to others.

Quote Originally Posted by stude8 View Post
    Can you tell me how to convert a sldprt file to iges or step. In doing some research I understand it can be done, but it's a little confusing to me as to how. Thanks
    Easiest way to to save it in soolidworks as a IGES format file. Simply do:
    Save As->
    Change save format below the file name (it says Save as Type) - it is a drop down selection menu to *.IGES
    Give it a file name at you are off to the races.

Note: If a feature is surpressed in solidworks, it will not apear in the IGES.

Seems that BobCad gets confused with suppressed items, and that created some difficulties for us until we went ot the IGERS saves - I will do a "lathe" shape, and then "carve out the final "Mill" shape.

That would be fine if I had Solidworks, but these sldprt files are files I've received from a customer. I'm now able to convert them with Onshape so I'm good now. Thanks.

This has always worked for me:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...-open-v22.html

I don't know where you get an updated copy of SwDocumentMgr.dll (check the eDrawings install folder?) but using this method I was always able to open the latest versions of SW files with BobCAD.

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    I'd imagine the info below might fix version 22 similarly. If your file is postable to the forum or if you could email it, I'm sure some kind soul would .step it out for you to be able to open it.

Solution to Bobcad 23 Opening Solidworks 2011 Files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just replace the file C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Solidworks Shared\SwDocumentMgr.dll with one from a machine with
    SW2011 installed. It seems to have worked for me. Version 23 now opens
    Solidworks 2011 files.