587,409 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Spade Drill Does Work in Aluminum; Big Hole Boring on Drill Press.
Page 3 of 3 123
    Dear Geof,

That advice is brilliant!

Yes, I can get PCB carbide 2.0mm drills, but from memory, the cutting thread may be a
    a "bit" short for 10mm stock.

The strange thing was that even the first hole I drilled with the 2.0mm HSS stubby was tight. I blew out all the swarf with an air duster before trying the first press fit. No luck.
    I then tried going down the original hole again , just hand centreing, and the hole was still too small.

Anyway, I'll try and get a 2mm carbit bit and see what happens.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    ....I then tried going down the original hole again , just hand centreing, and the hole was still too small.

Anyway, I'll try and get a 2mm carbit bit and see what happens.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Martin
    What happens here, at least this is my hypothesis for which I only have my own knowledge of the properties of plastics to fall back upon, is that the plastic simply flows around the cutting edge. You are getting a lot of rubbing, in an acrylic or polycarbonate, you would get melting as well; epoxy has a higher melting point, actually I think it starts to char before it melts, and you have the filler, so you don't see melting.

Even if you went in with a brand new carbide drill you may still be unable to enlarge the hole.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Dear Geof,

Hmmm...

Now you come to mention it, there was a bit of a stink when I drilled the holes. As you suggest, that could indicate too high rpms and melting. I really hate plastics!

Anyway, I will try the carbide bit/ solvent cooling/ slow speed route. It does so happen that I have a 250 ml container of IPA in the van.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by dapoling View Post
    Did somebody say BRONZE ! HMMMM lol

I have not cut any of Stellite products, thanks for the info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellite paints a different picture of this material.

Is this the same stuff ? http://www.stellite.com/

Nope says nothing about Bonze!
    Yes, I think it's the same material.
    Stefan Vendin

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui Seiki View Post
    Yes, I think it's the same material.
    Sounds like pretty nasty stuff, off hand do you know what SFPM you were using for HHS and Carbide and chip load?
    My Response to "It's Close Enough", "Is Your Tool Box and The Door Close Enough?"

Quote Originally Posted by dapoling View Post
    Sounds like pretty nasty stuff, off hand do you know what SFPM you were using for HHS and Carbide and chip load?
    It's been a while since I ran these parts but I believe the face mill (Coromill 390,Gc1025 inserts) had 80m/min 0,05 chip load and 4 inserts. S800 F160.
    Stefan Vendin

Bob, Well said, particularly not giving them your time.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Why would you use a spade drill...

when you could use a Forstner bit?

Works just fine in aluminum. Although it works better in a milling machine than in a drill press. I don't want to know how it works in a hand drill. :-)

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Page 3 of 3 123