588,138 active members*
5,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Spindle Control (X3 w/ C11G)

Spindle Control (X3 w/ C11G)

Hi,

I'm working on getting my machine setup with spindle control and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I didn't get smoke! yessss!

I have a X3 controlled by a c11g. Per Johns instructions, http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C11G_&_S...0storybook.pdf, I bought a 12V to 12V converter to avoid needing another power supply with a separate ground. #NKE1212SC and the datasheet here: http://www.cd4power.com/data/power/ncl/kdc_nke.pdf

I have wired the converter as it is in his instructions but have not wired the direction of the spindle through the electromechanical relay (pin 16) yet. I figure that I should get the speed control working first, using the direction control on the machine and then after that's working, I'll get to the direction control setup.

I believe I have everything configured correctly in mach3, mainly spindle control enabled on pin14 and the motor tuning but really I don't know and to be honest I don't know how to turn the spindle on in mach3 even if it is all setup correctly. I've been playing with the spindle speed box in mach3 but maybe there is more to it?

Thanks for the help guys!
    Adam

So I got adventurous and measured the voltage on the output side of the analogue out. It reads 0, so I'm thinking that maybe I don't have mach3 configured correctly.

I'm using S2000 in MDI to turn the spindle on, nothing wrong with that, is there?

Edit: So I didn't have it hooked up correctly afterall. I was missing the 12V ground input to the board. I guess I thought the 5V ground and 12V ground from my powersupply were common but maybe not. Anyway, now I'm getting something out of the analogue output but it's a misley .01 volt . . .

Well, I just looked at the C11G that I received a month ago and it does not have the dual input power requirement as indicated by your attached document.
    It is all marked as +5 VDC. Anyway, last week I ordered a +5 VDC to +12 VDC for the spindle control. So, check your board...maybe there are several different versions.

So, if your C11G is like mine the +5 VDC going to the +12 VDC to +12 VDC converter is not sufficient to make the converter work.

Paul

They're different versions. Mine has inputs for bot the 5v and 12v.

I've measured the voltage on the input side of the analog output and its seeing 12v so I'm pretty sure the converter is working.

Thanks though

I need to do the spindle speed control for my X3 with my C11G, but one thing I am confused about is the 12v isolation. I have read everything I can but am still a little confused...

In addition to my 5v power brick that powers the c11g, can I get away with using a seperate 12v power brick to power the board, or do I need to also add the 12v-12v isolator?

Did you issue an M3 before the S2000? You need to turn the spindle on before you can issue a speed command. Likewise you will need to issue an M5 to stop the spindle after your operation is complete. Try that and measure the output voltage from the C11G. There is additional information about setting up the speed control one the CNC4PC web site under the C6 board. They both hacve the same speed control circuit.

If you are still having trouble, contact Arturo at CNC4PC. He has been very helpful in the past. There is also a CNC4PC group on Yahoo that may be helpful.

I'm running a C11G also, but haven't gotten to the spindle speed control yet. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpydo View Post
    Hi,

I'm working on getting my machine setup with spindle control and can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I didn't get smoke! yessss!

I have a X3 controlled by a c11g. Per Johns instructions, http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C11G_&_S...0storybook.pdf, I bought a 12V to 12V converter to avoid needing another power supply with a separate ground. #NKE1212SC and the datasheet here: http://www.cd4power.com/data/power/ncl/kdc_nke.pdf

I have wired the converter as it is in his instructions but have not wired the direction of the spindle through the electromechanical relay (pin 16) yet. I figure that I should get the speed control working first, using the direction control on the machine and then after that's working, I'll get to the direction control setup.

I believe I have everything configured correctly in mach3, mainly spindle control enabled on pin14 and the motor tuning but really I don't know and to be honest I don't know how to turn the spindle on in mach3 even if it is all setup correctly. I've been playing with the spindle speed box in mach3 but maybe there is more to it?

Thanks for the help guys!
    Adam
    I did mine the opposite, I did the on/off and then the speed control. I figured that the on off would be easy and if I couldn't figure out the speed control right away, I could just run the speed fom the pot on the vfd.

You are on the right track by using a volt meter, I get 0v at s0 and 10 volts at S100. Using MDI for testing it with it disconnected from the speed board. If you can't get 0-10v with the meter, it sure won't run the motor.

On my machine, I had to put pulley settings in to get the correct voltage/rpm, but I am using the dspmc board and not the pport. I don't know if this will make a difference.

Under configuration go to spindle pulleys.
    I put in min 0 max 100 ratio 10 on pulley1.
    If it helps let me know.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

I will try it but I doubt that it will work. I've played with the pulley settings before.

I've been exchanging emails with Arturo (The guy who makes these BOBs) and it looks like there is something wrong with the board or chips. We haven't narrowed it down too much yet but I will post up here when I've got a solution.

Thanks!