587,108 active members*
4,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle repair

I have a Multicam 3000 with a 8kw Eurospindle / toolchanger.
    This morning I got some heavy vibration and noise on the machine and I can feel the play on the spindle axis. Looks like the bearings went out.

Can I change the bearings myself?
    If not, is there a company (I'm in FL) that is recommended to do this for me?
    Is it better to go through Multicam or better go to a direct repair service?
    Is there an option to exchange the spindle for another rebuild one?
    What price range should I be looking at to to get this fixed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Stefan

You may be able to change the bearings yourself, but if you are asking if you can, that probably means you shouldn't it's pretty easy to ruin a $1000 set of bearings if you don't have the right skills and tools. It is possible other work is needed as well. Regrinding the taper is one thing that is commonly done that would not be a DIY project.

I can't recommend anybody.

Multicam will charge more because they are just using a spindle rebuilder. The advantage is that they know a good one already. They may also offer an exchange program and they might even warranty the work.

You would likely not get a warranty or exchange from a normal spindle rebuilder.

I don't know about cost but I'd guess $5k might not be unreasonable.

Good Luck
    Matt

Stefan, I don't know if you've already found a solution but I ran into the same problem a few years back and Multicam wanted to charge an arm and a leg so I looked up the manufacturer (in my case Colombo) and was able to work directly with them and save quite a bit of money, I know Multicam needs to make money but doing a little searching on your own can often times save you a significant amount over what they would charge. Keebler is right, you don't want to make it worse by tying to do it yourself, they have a clean room and spindle harmonic testing equipment that most people don't, plus they know what to look for and how to fix it. In my case one of bosses tried to run the machine while I was on vacation and crashed the spindle into the tool holder while it already had a tool in it, not only did it destroy the $1500 HF ceramic bearings it bent the shaft, that ended up being about a $4g mistake on him, he hasn't touched it since.
    This is who I used, you might give them a try.
    CNC Spindle Repair - Precision Drive Systems - Spindle Repair Service
    Paul

Re: Spindle repair

If you have visible play in your tool then it sounds like your spindle has been seriously crashed. If you just get the bearings changed they will have a very short lifespan because of hidden problems like high run-outs and misalignments. Martek Motors specializes in rebuilding Eurospindels and have a very quick turn around time.