587,167 active members*
3,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Spindle Repair Partner X

Spindle Repair Partner X

Hi,

We have a Partner X with a 5 bearing spindle. I took it apart and I swear I put the new bearings in correctly but it is noisy. Can anyone tell me how the front 3 bearings should face? I just want to be sure I did it correctly.

Thanks

some of those bearings had marks that formed a V you line up
    Milltronics VM16 cent6, Clausing 1500 lathe with a Milltronics cent7, 80W Rabbit SE12090 laser

spindle repair

check the mechanical manual, it will show you the orintation of the bearings in the spindle break down.

Spindle rebuilds are not as easy as "installing new bearings". there is alignment, preloads to concider along with the correct type, quantity and quality of the grease used.
    The grease I use costs $75 for a 50g tube.
    Rebuilding on the shop table is a bad idea, its that whole " a grain of sand turns extasy into agony thing" it does not take but a very minut amount of dust, dirt even cigarette smoke to trash a spindle rebuild.
    The mantra of spindle rebuilders is " clean, clean, clean, clean, clean.

another tip, do a spindle run in. start at 50rpm for about 10-15 minuts, this will spread the grease thru the bearings. Note: too little grease will burn up the bearings, too much will make them run hot and burn them up.
    then run at 500rpm for 1/2 hr, then run at 1000rpm intervals for 1 hour each up to the max spindle rpm. then drop the rpm to 1000rpm for 1/2 hour to cool it down. during the spindle run in check the spindle temp at the nose. if it reaches about 130 to 140 degrees ( hot to touch ) shut down the run in , let it cool down compleatly. then start all over. if it gets hot again. trash the bearings and start over.

and some times you just get a bad set of bearings and have scrap them and start over. I have not yet found a bearing supplier that will warranty bearings.
    they all claim incorrect installation for the failure.

All that being said, is the noise actually bearings? some times not having a tool in the spindle will cause the drawbar to rattle. was the drawbar reinstalled correctly, are the bevel washers good?

sportybob