587,997 active members*
2,195 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Start delay on Thermal Dynamics 151

I was told the 151 had a contact start. Maybe I misunderstood or maybe I got something wrong on it.
    When I start my cutting process on my table, It doesn't start cutting for about a second, and the torch is already in motion.

As it moves from cutpath to cutpath, it starts on time, it's just that initial start that it has a problem with.

Is this something that can be adjusted?

I'm gonna call TD Tech support tomorrow but thought somebody else might have some ideas.

Plasma starting

Sir,

All plasmas have a pre-purge flow of gas which clears the hoses and torch of the wrong gas; therefore at start, the gas flows for a short time before starting the arc. Your system should start motion upon sensing that the arc has transferred. This would be either an arc current sensor or a signal from the plasma pwr supply that the arc has transferred.

Between cuts, the post-flow of the gases eliminates the need for another pre-flow purge.

Regards,
    Jack C.

Thanks, I got it all figured out.

I have the 151 and also had the 101 with Wincnc and Mach 3 now.

I have sheetcam and had Les write me a post processor
    to work with the Cutmaster unit. You will find that the second cut
    ( with Mach 3 ) will need a different delay time then your first cut.
    About .5 seconds. I also have a different delay time between
    the thc on and when it's off. The arc good signal only works
    with the thc on on my system. Not a big deal because with
    the delay it always fires. I could upgrade to the cnc interface
    card in the cutmaster but at this point I have no reason too.

Hi,
    What you can do for avoid this problem is change the arc start signal time from the CNC. I dont really know if your CNC has got this feature for process time. If so change the time to start plasma to 5 or 6 seconds then the plasma will work well. If not you can add one relay with delay time configured as I said above. In that way the machine will work well too.
    Some machines from Thermal Dynamics has got the dip switch to adjust the time but as CM 151 does not have the feature available.

Alex S.A