587,758 active members*
2,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Starting to build my first CNC router
Page 1 of 2 12

Starting to build my first CNC router

I have decided "to take the plung" haha and build my own router table. And have some ummm.... Lots of questions. I will give you a bit of background and what I would like the machine to do. I am a PLC automation programmer/designer in the industrial field and been around control systems for a few years. So electronics and building stuff is what I do for a living so Im not totally blind going into this. I have just learned over time most things are possible just do some research before you start. I have almost "3 times" now purchased the v90 from probotix but just have been turned off buy the material it is made of and doesnt meet the size I want.

I want to use this machine to mainly cut out foam for inside gun cases, camera cases, etc. But dont want to be limited to just that. Wood, plastics
    and other stuff would be nice (mainly for gun grips for shooting range buddies).This will be just a start into a business for me NOT going to quit my day job anytime soon but want to look towards the future maybe move up later to a plasma table.

I do have access to a few machine shops that I can have my parts cut with either water jet or laser. So the precision cut parts are not an issue. I can draw and have access to autocad at work and am learning to draw in 3d as I go. I have used an older zenotech engraving machine at work for years converting tags in cad for control panels to the "old dinosaur" and cutting them out but it just is not big enough to do what I want to do.

So here I go with the loads of questions.

Heres what I had in mind for motors and drives.
    Can I do better for the price

Kit Includes:$359
    3x ProboStep VX Uni-Polar Stepper Motor Driver
    2x HT23-280-8 280ozin Stepper Motor (X- & Y-Axis)
    1x HT23-400-8 400ozin Stepper Motor (Z-Axis)
    PBX-2 Parallel Port Breakout Board
    24Volt 6.5Amp Switching Power Supply
    6ft. DB25 Male-to-Male Cable
    3x 4" IDC Cable 10-pin

I dont have a desktop pc with Parallel port So I figured I need this.
    Or can I use an usb to Parallel adapter off the shelf from elctronics store?

PBX-USB CNC Controller $99.95
    4 axis USB CNC controller
    USB (V2.x) from PC/Laptop running Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit)
    3 digital outputs (flood, mist, spindle)
    25 KHz maximum step frequency
    12us minimum pulse width
    Buffered I/O for maximum performance
    Two manual jog input keys per axis (8 total)
    Two limit switches for X,Y, Z (6 total)
    Jog Pendant Interface
    Relay Board Interface
    I2C Interface
    E-Stop Loop

I had seen a video with a probe mounted on the router doing a 2.5d profile of a piece mounted to the spoil board. Is this hard? expensive? to add into the system. Is this the best way to get a profile for an object?
    Any suggestions for a probe?

I am planning in building an approx 2x4 machine with 5 inches of z axis.
    What size guide rods for the 4ft distance?
    What size guide rods for the 2ft distance?
    What size guide rods for the z axis?

I had planned on using McMaster Carr for most of the mechanical parts.
    Is there somewhere better priced?

Is there somewhere better I should be shopping for electronics devices?

Which router?

I really appreciate any and all help you can give me. I am really looking forward to getting started.

Also first timer with questions

Hey Gumby,

I'm also gonna take a swing at building one after years of being a cnc youtube and forum junkie. I'm gonna start with a smaller table router and when I figure that out I eventually want to build a simple 3 axis surfboard shaping machine. I wanna use this kit:

3 PCS Nema 23 Stepper Motor dual shaft with 425oz-in holding torque,

3 PCS Stepper Driver with 4.2A SD-2H044MAreplacing M542,

1 PCS Power Supply for 350W,24VDC,

1 PC DB25 Breakout Board & 1 Cable

Technical details: CNC Router kits 3Axis Nema 23 Stepper Motor 425oz-in,3.0A Dual Shaft Wantai CNC Mill Control:CNC Router kits 3Axis Nema 23 Stepper Motor 425oz-in,3.0A Dual Shaft Wantai CNC Mill Control wholesaler

I'm wondering if the 425oz-in is enough because I'm just cutting foam which is basically air but I'm planning on cutting 9' boards with it too with it so I'm not sure if length is a factor when choosing which motor.

There is another kit that I was gonna start with because it's so damn cheap and I want to make all my mistakes on it. It comes with 3 nema 23 with 270oz-in but Im not sure if Im just wasting my time with it. Its half the price though on ebay at $185.98 Its this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=140785721614

Also can someone explain the difference between unipolar and bipolar? I'll apologize in advance for all of the stupid elementary mechanical and electrical questions, I'm a history major who should have done mechanical engineering.

Can I do better for the price

Kit Includes:$359
    3x ProboStep VX Uni-Polar Stepper Motor Driver
    2x HT23-280-8 280ozin Stepper Motor (X- & Y-Axis)
    1x HT23-400-8 400ozin Stepper Motor (Z-Axis)
    PBX-2 Parallel Port Breakout Board
    24Volt 6.5Amp Switching Power Supply
    6ft. DB25 Male-to-Male Cable
    3x 4" IDC Cable 10-pin
    You can do a lot better for about $100 more.
    CNC Stepper Motor Kit: , Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Automation Technology Inc

I had planned on using McMaster Carr for most of the mechanical parts.
    Is there somewhere better priced?
    Most of us use McMaster-Carr for some items, but you need to be specific if you want to compare prices. McMaster has everything, but aren't usually the cheapest.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I like the looks of the g540 spending a 100 more for better product isnt to bad.
    How can I control it from a computer without a 25pin port on my laptop?
    Is there an easy why like ethernet or usb converter to work with this system?

I have an alienware m17x just waiting to do something besides collect dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby! View Post
    I like the looks of the g540 spending a 100 more for better product isnt to bad.
    How can I control it from a computer without a 25pin port on my laptop?
    Is there an easy why like ethernet or usb converter to work with this system?

I have an alienware m17x just waiting to do something besides collect dust.
    You can get a device like smooth stepper which allows usb to 25pin interface but I 'd say its more common to set up a dedicated pc as your controller, a basic pc would do, just make sure it has a printer port, thats what i did anyway.

Good luck
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Ok so use the alien to do all my drawing and file conversions then send to pc for cutting.

Which windows operation system XP 7 or older is best to use?

Why is the G540 package so popular? Mainly because it comes all wire together? I am not afraid to mount and wire up all my devices in an enclosure myself if it will save me some money.

At the shop I have full access to terminal blocks, tyco/amp connectors and wiring products to build by control panel. So I will also save there.

I have an Allen bradley 10amp 24vdc power supply I can use to get me started. Will this work?

So my thought is to buy

3 motors $40 each
    KL23H284-35-4B: 355 oz In. Hybrid Stepper Motor
    1.8° /200 Steps Per Rev.
    3.5 Amps Current Per Phase
    4-wire Bi-polar,
    NEMA 23 Frame

3 drives
    KL-6050 Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver $50 each

1 breakout board $28
    KL-DB25 Breakout Board
    •6 Axis Opto-Isolated CNC interface
    •C-Class Opto Isolation
    •Screw-terminal Connector
    •DB-25 Female Connector

Totaling about $300 without shipping

Am I missing or not seeing something else I need?

The G540 handles 48V. Speed is proportional to power, so it's capable of at least twice the speed.

It also has quite a few other features that allow it to deliver 2-3 times the performance of anything in it's price range or cheaper.

If you want to use the Planet-CNC control software and probotix hardware, you can make a custom parallel cable to connect the board to a G540.
    Most of us here use Mach3 to control our machines, and it has several USB and ethernet options. They'll cost more money, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I feel it would be best for me to use what most of the guys on here use since help and previous use of this equipment is plentyful.

ok so now here is the plan

I am going with the dedicated pc direction I have some spare towers at work I can use to build me a machine.

I will plan on using my 24v power supply for now until I convince one of my venders to give me a higher voltage one as a sample.

qty1 Gecko Diver G540 4 Axis Driver, Current Version $249.95
    qty3 NEMA23 355 oz/in 3.5A 1/4” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H284-35-4B) $120

total so far $370 plus shipping

Can I use the 4th drive to run a second drive screw on my X axis?
    So I can have an open area under the table say if I wanted to add a small plasma later on down the road or at least experiment before building a bigger machine.

Im ready to spend some money just want to be sure I get what I need.

I only have one major Item I really want to be part of my system. I had seen a video on youtube with a guy controlling his unit with a PLAYSTATION controller. I know that may not be umm a cool factor to anyone else but with the group of programers and designers I work with it will definitly be a conversation piece. Plus I will kind of feel like Im playing Call of Duty.(flame2)

I only have one major Item I really want to be part of my system. I had seen a video on youtube with a guy controlling his unit with a PLAYSTATION controller. I know that may not be umm a cool factor to anyone else but with the group of programers and designers I work with it will definitly be a conversation piece. Plus I will kind of feel like Im playing Call of Duty.(flame2)
    As long as the game controller works with your computer it will work with mach3 and there are many wireless adapters out there for the game controllers. A simple process to assign the axis movements to the controller pad.

Starting to shop

I am starting to shop for the mechanical parts linear shafts, screws etc.
    Does anyone one have a parts list for a budget build machine. I was planning on using 20mm shafts since that seems to most common. I also have decided to make it a bit smaller maybe around 12x30 cutting area. Any ideas for suppliers i have looked at mcmaster carr and automation technology inc.

qty1 Gecko Diver G540 4 Axis Driver, Current Version $249.95
    Can I use the 4th drive to run a second drive screw on my X axis?
    Absolutely. There's a "slave" function in Mach3 that basically sends the same pulse train to two drives.

qty3 NEMA23 355 oz/in 3.5A 1/4” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H284-35-4B) $120
    The data sheet says those are 387oz motors. Id recommend spending $30 more for these 381oz motors.
    They have a lower inductance, which translates into higher speeds at the same voltage. They are the best performing motors available for the G540.

If you go with Mach3, there's a very good XBOX 360 controller plugin, which will give you more options that a Playstation or other generic gamepad.

I really wouldn't recommend buying anything until you have a specific design with a firm parts list. Most people that start buying too soon spend a lot of money on the wrong parts, that often need to be replaced with better, or different ones.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Oh I am definitly making a list before I order anything! I do this kind of project design alot (just never a cnc router). "I Got A Spread Sheet For That" its kind of a joke around our office. Along with the TPS report and red swingline staplers from Office Space.

I changed motor selection to the NEMA23 381oz/in 3.5A Dual Shaft Stepper Motor KL23H2100-35-4B.

I am searching around for places to get items such as guide rods and ball screw. It looks like automation tech.com for guides and bearings and ebay for ballscrews.

20mm on x and y axis guide rods?
    16mm for z axis guid rods?
    16mm ball screws for all 3 axis?

I would realy like to find the ball screw and bearings in one set. But may be cheaper to piece out. Suggestions

Are you talking about the round shafting supported at the ends only, or the round shaft supported on the continuous aluminum extrusion?

Try here. Glacern Machine Tools - Linear Rails and Bearings
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I was planning on using round shafting supported at the ends only but this site has brety goos pricing for the supported rail. And I could mount it to the frame.

I am borderline AGAIN on just buying a V90 machine without electronics and use Gecko Diver G540 4 Axis Driver and some motors and start cutting. It will do pretty much everything I want to do but cost vrs material quality makes me hesitant.

I was planning on using round shafting supported at the ends only
    You'll be very disappointed with those. On a 4ft axis, they'll flex a LOT.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I am an avid fan of dedicated PC's for CNC use. If you do build one make sure it already has a parallel port built in. Adding a PCI or PCIE parallel port that works with MACH 3 can be problematic. You cannot use a USB to parallel port adapter.

If you want to use a PC that does not have a parallel port then you can use a SmoothStepper. It will add $175 to your cost but they do work well.
    Here is a write-up I did on using a SmoothStepper with my designs.
    SmoothStepper Hookup

As the others have stated, do a lot of research before buying any hardware.
    I have a ton of videos up on You tube featuring the CNC’s in my books, as well as some of my older builds.
    Kronos Robotics - YouTube

Oh one more thing. Purchase the best electronics kit you can. I highly recommend this 4 axis kit form CNCrouterparts.
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/4-axis...-kit-p-75.html
    Its more expensive but its as close to plug and play as you can get. I used it on my very first CNC and all others since, even my larger KRMx02 builds.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Talking

Vender/ Part #/ Description/ Price
    automationtechnologiesinc G540 Gecko Diver G540 4 Axis Driver, Current Version $250
    automationtechnologiesinc KL23H2100-35-4B NEMA23 381oz/in 3.5A Dual Shaft Stepper Motor KL23H2100-35-4B $150
    Glacern Machine Tools - Premium Quality Vises and Tooling X axis 20 mm Linear Motion Shaft 640mm with bearings $140
    Glacern Machine Tools - Premium Quality Vises and Tooling SBR20-640-SET y axis 20 mm Linear Motion Shaft 640mm with bearings $140
    ebay z axis setup with guides and ballscrews installed (?) $100
    ? x axis ballscrew and bearings $100
    ? y axis ballscrew $100
    ? mounts and router and bits $250
    80/20 custom cut #'s 3 pieces 2x3 80/20 tubing $100
    magnum eng freebie (shop cleanup) aluminum plates
    magnum eng freebie (shop cleanup) 24vdc 10amp power supply (waiting on vender for freebie 36v or 48v) $0
    magnum eng freebie (shop cleanup) dedicated pc with parallel port built into motherboard (windows XP) $0
    magnum eng freebie (shop cleanup) 24 x 24 x10 nema 4 hoffman electrical enc/ 24x24 back panel & panduit $0
    magnum eng freebie (shop cleanup) wire/ tyco conns/ wire loom/ 24vdc relays/limit switches/misc cables $0
    software freebie (used for work) cad $0
    software ? cam ?
    total 1330

This is what I have so far.
    Any suggestions on where to save any $.
    See anything I missed yet?

Thanks for any help you can give.

All I can say is watch out for low prices that seem too good to be true. For example the G540 at $250 seems a little low to me. Make sure they don’t try and make up the price with excessive shipping.

Don’t forget your cabling and connectors. You also need to allocate some money for your hardware.

Also watch for the freebees, especially in software. You get what you pay for.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Page 1 of 2 12