587,753 active members*
2,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Starting out in CNC

Just after information about making your own CNC machining to cut balsa, ply and foam. Table size I'm looking for is about 18" x 36" but also maybe something a little bigger. How much would it cost to make something that is capable of only cutting those materials - I'm not interested in making something so strong it can mill metal. I'm looking at spending no more than $1000. Once built, how hard is it to make parts? From my research on the net, some people make it sound really hard and others make it sound easy. People that have already done it , was it worth it? Do you still use your machine?
    Thanks

Still have it, and yes, worth it. $1k goes fast with CNC. Have you looked into picking up an "in process" build, or a used system? Sometimes these include much more for your money.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dtb88 View Post
    Just after information about making your own CNC machining to cut balsa, ply and foam. Table size I'm looking for is about 18" x 36" but also maybe something a little bigger. How much would it cost to make something that is capable of only cutting those materials - I'm not interested in making something so strong it can mill metal. I'm looking at spending no more than $1000. Once built, how hard is it to make parts? From my research on the net, some people make it sound really hard and others make it sound easy. People that have already done it , was it worth it? Do you still use your machine?
    Thanks
    For 1000$ look at solsylva plans and you should be able to make a good machine with access to basic tools. For people who already know how to use CAD software, adjusting to CAM and making toolpaths isn't hard. But if your not good with computers, Vetric makes some very easy to learn software, at a price. Cnc machining is probably the most rewarding hobby and I enjoy it and if you like building things, woodworking, or inventing, you will too.

From my research on the net, some people make it sound really hard and others make it sound easy.
    As most things in life you get out what you put in.

$1000 is possible but depends what you have available to you. What kind of tools do you have access too? How handy are you with electronics? So many variables.

btw 18x36 seems like a very large cutting area for a $1000 build.

The smallest cutting area I would go is probably 12" x 24". I have basic drafting skills in AutoCAD and use Catia at work but only for viewing/measuring. I've also done some basic computer programming.
    As I would only be using it to do things that can be done manually, I don't want to spend thousands.
    I have a basic understanding of electronics and have done some soldering. I do love making things, inventing ect so I think I would like a project like this. How long does it take to big one from scratch?

You can build the Solsylva plans router in 2-3 good weekends. It's diable with the most basic tools. Don't expect any speed with your budget, but you can always upgrade later. I think with the upgraded ACME screws, and Xylotex kit, I came in around $1100-1200 or so.

Thanks
    For the size you have specified, $1000 just ain't possible. The motors, drives, and related electronics will go thru $1000 pretty quickly. I am currently in the process of expanding my machine size from X=30" Y= 30" Z=13" up to handle X=53" Y=30" Z=13" and just the commodity material cost has already exceeded $400! (Steel channel, angle, tube, nuts and bolts). And the machine's footprint has grown to a monstrous 55"x80"

You stated that you are "not interested in building something so strong it can mill metal" The truth is, that if it is not, then anything you cut with it is not going to give very good results. Tool path acuracy is directly proportional to machine rigidity. And this comes at a cost, unfortunately. The expanded X axis project I am currently working on, is resulting in my THIRD disassembly, redesign and rebuild of my machine since I began the initial build in 2008.

I am doing some fine-tune modifications during this process, to give the machine some added capabilities. But the biggest thing, is increasing the entire machine's RIGIDITY. Don't get me wrong, it was rigid before..... it's just that the basic frame was built on a light weight 1"x1" tube steel structure that rocked and vibrated as the machine was in use.

This rebuild is resulting in a structure which could literally support an army tank! I won't be happy with the build, until I can grab it by the rails, shake it will all my strength, (with a cup of coffee sitting on the table's surface) and NOT see any ripples occurring in the coffee! I will THEN consider the modification to be a success. Please see the attached MyCNCv1.PDF for a look at the initial build. It contains a lot of information you may find of interest.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Things you'll need:

Computer with parallel port; monitor; mouse; keyboard
    Control software (Mach 3: $150)
    CAD software (For profiles: Draftsight: Free; For 3D: ? $)
    CAM software to create tool paths from CAD drawings (SheetCam (~$180) as an example) or learn some G-code and write tool paths with any text editor.

Three stepper motors (~40-$60 each)
    Electronic drives for three motors (~$120-$320 for all three)
    Power supply (assuming you might be able to scrounge one (~$0-$150))
    Misc. wire, connectors, switches, etc. (~$50)

Drive mechanics:

Drive screws (x3): 1/2"-8 2 start $28/3ft
    Drive nuts (x3) Dumpstercnc ~$20 each
    Supports couplers and bearings (x3) $?

Rails (x3 sets) $?
    Rail Bearings (x3 sets) $?
    Misc. hardware ($?)

Spindle motor (typically a small router (~$100))

Frame structure (could be MDF, plywood, steel, aluminum or a combination)($?)

Dust Collection ($?)

I think the list above has all of the basics that go into a cnc router. You can always find deals and scrounge things to keep the costs down or spread the build over some time period that allows your budget to keep pace with your acquisition of components. Some software works in demo mode but you'll be limited in what you can do with it.

Chris

There is nothing wrong with starting small and building a bigger one.

IMO your best to build a kit or a machine that has plans for your first one. It will give you a good feel of what's going on.

For electronics I suggest a gecko 540 it works great for most machines on here and is about as plug and play as you can get. While other kits seem cheaper once you add in your time its not worth it IMO.

Also the better machine you build the better results you'll see from it and be more apt to use it.

Maybe a little bigger then your looking for but CNC router parts has a 24x48 drawing on their website. or you can look at finline automation.

dtb88, I'd suggest not to get too caught up in talk of uber-ridgidity, precision rails, ground ballscrews, etc., etc... Truthfully, cutting the materials you mentioned (save for may be some plywood) doesn't take much force. I found my Solsylva more than ridgid enough to cut what you had mentioned, and even some aluminum with good tool selection and parameters.

Ridgidity and precision comes at a cost; and you may not see that benefit when cutting balsawood or foam, or even plywood for that matter. I used scrap ipe decking for my machine frame, scrap aluminum sheet for the carriage, hardware store L, U-channel and tube for the linear rails (as well as skate bearings), and hardware store nuts and bolts. I initially spent about $500 or so to build the machine, using allthread for leadscrews, then spent another $250 or so for multi-start ACME and anti-backlash nuts (best money I ever spent.) The xylotex controller with 3 motors cost around $450 shipped. The controller software, Mach3 cost $175. You can use LinuxCNC which is free. You need CAM as well and you can go free - PyCAM, HeeksCNC, PhlatScript (for SketchUp) - as well as get an inexpensive or costly solution. You can also learn to hand-write your own gcode for simple tasks.

I've seen it time and again; huge cash and resources are dumped into a killer machine, and then the builder can't possibly take advantage of the machine's capabilities because he/she tries to "get by" with workarounds and difficult-to-use free stuff. If all you cut are 2D or 2.5D parts you can get away with this, but for more intricate work, I find it easier to control what my machine does, rather have my "software" control what I do! Just saying, consider exactly what you need to cut with your machine, then reseach what CAM you need to get the job done, and factor that in to your total cost...

dtb88~

Here's a link you might find interesting:

DevilMaster

Run it through Google translator, it's worth it.

The man was very generous with his design and knowledge. His project is very approachable.

~john

For the size you have specified, $1000 just ain't possible
    A lot of things were quite a bit cheaper 8 or 9 years ago when I was buying them, but my 30"x45" machine with 8" of Z axis travel was less than $1000. Probably closer to $700-$800.

It's plenty rigid enough for balsa and foam. When cutting baltic birch and hardwoods, I limit my depth of cut to about .1", but I get very high quality cuts, at 125-150ipm. I've also cut 3/8" aluminum plate with decent results.

Generally, I'd say the budget is too low, but most people asking that question have much loftier expectations. But balsa and foam can be cut with just about any cnc.

Just be aware that once complete (lol), you will want to upgrade the machine, and you will end up spending far more than $1000.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Check out this guys CNC Router. Not a lot of money spent but it works.

Generally, I'd say the budget is too low, but most people asking that question have much loftier expectations. But balsa and foam can be cut with just about any cnc.
    That's why I started this thread because what I'm looking at machining is realitvily soft. The hardest material I would be machining is 1/4" ply. I'm not looking at building the cheapest thing out there - I believe you get what you paid for. But at the same time, I don't see the point in going all out if I'm only using it to cut soft wood (even though balsa is hardwood!). If an extra $200 would be a big improvement, I would be all up for it but you have to stop somewhere...

Balsa and plywood machining would all be 2D and if I get hopeful, the most advance thing would be machining 3D shapes in blue foam.

I don't think Joe's 2006 model has been talked about here. If you built everything yourself and were thrifty I bet you could get close to your budget.

Joe sells a pre cut kit of the structure for $550 as well but that would blow your budget.

The Original Joe's 06'

The plans

Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    I don't think Joe's 2006 model has been talked about here. If you built everything yourself and were thrifty I bet you could get close to your budget.

Joe sells a pre cut kit of the structure for $550 as well but that would blow your budget.

The Original Joe's 06'

The plans

Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!
    Yes, I remember back when I started my diy cnc journey the Joe 2006 was what people were building and using, and producing some outstanding projects. Worth a look.

Rob
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

If an extra $200 would be a big improvement, I would be all up for it but you have to stop somewhere...
    The reality is that even a small improvement will probably be $500-$1000 more. $200 buys very little.
    Basically, you can build a small decent machine like the Joe's 2006 within or close to your budget. These machines are made of MDF.
    Building anything better will likely cost you $2000 or more.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

dtb88,

I think you could build something decent for your stated purposes within your $1000-1200 (US) budget, not sure what you'd end up paying in Australia (exchange rate, local availability & costs, etc.).

I'd suggest pricing, not necessarily buying, your electronics first, and focusing on a good setup based on the Gecko G540 driver. For example the components in Keling's package #1 at Page Title eats up about half your budget but is a good solid set and plenty of power and speed for the size you're describing. Starting with good electronics can save you endless time and headaches and even save you money compared to "going cheap" first.

David Steele at Solsylva (Solsylva CNC Plans~ Home Page) estimates the 24x48 table design can be built for as low as around $600 or the 25x25 for $300 (US prices) + electronics (above), computer, router/spindle, bits, software, etc.

Good luck,
    Roy

Keeping in mind that you have to buy things like a spindle, stepper wires, computer, parallel cable, router bits/end mills, material to machine. It's all the unplanned expenses that will bring your total far above the $1000 threshold.

The only way you could come under $1000 is if you got a chinese tb6560+motors+cables+power supply kit for $200 and a HF router, but as soon as you build your machine you'll want to upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12