545,577 active members*
7,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > State of Mastercam in 2021. Toughts? Annoyances? Praises?

Lightbulb State of Mastercam in 2021. Toughts? Annoyances? Praises?

Hi everyone,

We are evaluating new CAM systems and Mastercam is on the list. I've had our local reseller demo the software a few times and answer some of my more technical concerns. I would really like to hear from the community now(you) on how mastercam works for you and what you use it for. If you're up to it, I would like to hear everything you have to say. The good, the bad, the ugly, all of it. Also, if you have experience with other CAM systems, how would you compare them?

I'm just looking to see how others think about it.

As for us, we do all sorts of work with all the machines. From 2 axis trak mills/lathes to 5 axis trunions and head/head machines, mill/turn(Haas ST30Y), and Wire EDM.

What kind of machines do you use and have you had better luck with some more than others when using mastercam? How about mirror finishes at micron levels?

Feel free to rant. I want to know what I'm getting into that sales people will never expose me to because why would they?

Anyways, thanks in advance!

-G

Re: State of Mastercam in 2021. Toughts? Annoyances? Praises?

I loved using mastercam and though the company would get the upgrades I always stuck with x3 . The more recent versions are a massive cluster F#$% in my opinion . I think they are trying make it "easier" to cater to engineers who don't have dirt under their nails , rather than machinists who know what they want , and need to move through the motions fast without a bunch of pretty pictures and wizardry to guide them

Aside from the clutter it's pretty solid software

Re: State of Mastercam in 2021. Toughts? Annoyances? Praises?

I would be interested in what type of work you do. the improvements that been added sense X3 have really made my work and ease of use better every time a new version comes out.But I program all kinds of machine and different kinds of part from all over the US. So I really get into the nuts and bolts of the software.

Have you tried working with any of the new toolpaths and updates?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .