587,733 active members*
2,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stay in Stock

I have been trying to ruff in with aprox. .030 stock on sides and .197 stock on two corners with .375 radius, with gibbs cam 6.1 year 2002 . I have isolated the radius and used + stock .177 , then .157 then .137 and so on till I have .020 stock on the radius , untill doing the complete contour. It does cut a lot of air doing so. When I check the box "stay in stock" it doesn't cut any thing. The help dialog says it will. Our books are for previous versions year 1999 don't show the "stay in stock" box. Aprox. 40 years in manual machine shops and 7 years in cnc shop.
    Scottyb

Check your stock values in the document control box or any geometry or solids that you may have defined as stock. Gibbs use these values to calculate the toolpath when "stay in stock" is selected.

"Stay in Stock"

Yes I have done that. It has the correct value as imported from the DXF file.
    Thank for the reply.
    Scottyb

Hi scottyb

Give this a try put a box around your part any number just 4 lines say .6 off of each face
    shrink wrap your part now go to your stock size it will have changed put in your Z+0 Z- depth etc now with this still open go to your stock wizard if you have it & put in the same sizes in there when done click finish close the control box now cut your part any how you want it now it thinks it has alot more stock around the outside & your cutter has to stay within that stock so another look at this

If you are going +.177 from the edge of the part & your cutter is .375 then .600 is plenty around your part for your cutter to stay in the stock the further you are away from the cutting edge of your part you are the further you go with the pretending stock
    your cutter has to stay in side the stock to work how you want it to

there are other ways to do this but this is quick & easy I'm not sure if you have the stock wizard with that version or not but do it like this & it will work
    Mactec54

Stay in Stock

I tried adding .6 to the outside stock dimension and now it cuts but it cuts the same with or without the stay in stock box checked.
    I have come to the conclusion than it was not made to cut this way.
    On the internet, the only way it showed was cutting a surface with a large notch in the side, then cutting the top surface, the tool stayed near the stock left.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Scottyb

Stay in Stock

The part is a long 15" long bar, and cutting on the end about a 3" radius.
    I have found that adding .6" stock around the part I must select a tool and machine around the stock in gibbs first. Then the stay in stock does work.
    A little late but better late than never.
    Scottyb