588,400 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Steel drum for dust cyclone

I have a ClearVue mini cyclone connected to my dust collector that seems to work well. Unfortunately, the 5 gallon bucket that is used with the cyclone isn't so great. Last weekend the seal on the bucket failed. In addition to losing suction, the dust went into my vacuum nearly filling my filter bag. Before this failure, I thought that too much dust was getting to the vacuum so I think things have not been right for a while. I repaired the seal but it looks like another seal failure is only a matter of time.

It seems to me that a small steel barrel would work well. I was inspired by the 10 gallon barrel that is available from Oneida. I found a 5 gallon barrel on Amazon which seems to be the right size to fit into my machine. Anyone have comments? Can I do better? Is there a better solution?

Here's a link to the barrel from Amazon: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SKOLNIK-Carbon-Steel-gallons-0-9mm/dp/B006P5RJ4E/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1343159704&sr=8-13&keywords=5+gallon+steel+drum"]SKOLNIK Carbon Steel Open Head Drum, 5 gallons, Bolt Ring, 0.9mm Body Gauge (Pack of 1): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

Here's a photo:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel Barrel.jpg  

Any container will work as long as there is an air tight seal to the cyclone. The container doesn't even have to be round. The only real requirement is being able to keep shape under the vaccum pressure, which is not much.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    ...The only real requirement is being able to keep shape under the vaccum pressure, which is not much.
    While it is true that the vacuum pressure in a large, high volume dust collection system is only a few inches of water, the vacuum pressure in the small cyclones run with a shop vacuum can exceed 100 inches of water.

A dramatic illustration of this was in a recent comparative review of small cyclones connected to a Fein vacuum where the ClearVue supplied 5 gallon pail collapsed. (here's a link to that review: Cyclone Separator Comparison and Review | The Wood Whisperer)

With these high pressures, its imperative that there are reliable seals in the dust collection container beneath the cyclone or the cyclone won't work properly. I lost confidence in the seal in my Clear-Vue mini system when a small burr on the edge of the 5 gallon pail made the seal fail. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ml#post1143998

Interesting problem you've encountered. Might be due to the size of the cyclone being so small. Don't know exactly.

I run a standard 5 gallon pail typically used for paint. The lid is a circle piece of MDF with a grove cut into it. The seal is standard foam rubber weather seal. It's by no means air tight. Perhaps this is why mine doesn't collapse on itself and I have more than adequate suction from the vac.

I can take a few pictures of my setup when I get home from work tonight.