588,112 active members*
5,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stuttering stepper motor

I guess I don’t understand why I see postings of running the stepper motors at a voltage greater that the stated voltage. I had seen comments that you should run it up to five times the amount on the label? I’m trying to get a stepper salvaged from a HP LaserJet II to step and it’s not doing what it should. It just stutters. I’ve checked the coils and they are hooked up correctly. Hum maybe if I just increase the power. More power always helps
    Oh the last motor I had attached to this homebrew control board stepped. I’m just trying to upgrade on power some.

So little time and so many toys.

You need power resistors in series with the windings if you go over the rated name plate voltage.

Go to www.stepperworld.com and look at the tutorials on steppermotors. Good stuff.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Re: stuttering stepper motor

Originally posted by rustranch
    I guess I don’t understand why I see postings of running the stepper motors at a voltage greater that the stated voltage. I had seen comments that you should run it up to five times the amount on the label? .
    A stepper motor's torque drops very rapidly as rpm's increase. By using a higher voltage (up to even 10x to 20x the rated voltage) this lets the motor deliver more torque at much higher speeds.

Gerry

overdrive and you'll probably get some overstepping....if a closed loop system, you can probably correct for it....if an open loop system and you are counting steps...goodluck.

What do you mean by overstepping and overdriving? Just about everyone uses a much higher voltage than the motors rated voltage and I don't think anyone is gaining or losing steps because of it. This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)