587,999 active members*
5,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > *** Suggestions for modifying a MAXPATH42 Router Table ***

*** Suggestions for modifying a MAXPATH42 Router Table ***

I am thinking of modifying a MAXPATH42 Router table.

Present setup has CL steppers and control board with original MAXNC Router software.

I want to run Mach 3 with this router and would appreciate any recommendations to type of controller board to replace the original one which has gone kput!.

Does anyone have a working copy of an XML file for this MAXPATH 42 router or similar that I can use with Mach 3? I'd appreciate it.

have you checked the maxnc yahoo group? There is some use info on their about getting the maxncs to run with mach3

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaxNC-users/

The electronics on the maxnc range of machines is one sever weak point.

Yes, I have been to that group also, but most of it is towards the Mills.

There must be others with this very same router??? WHere are you guys?

In the length of time I've had this machine, I have not had too many troubles with it and have made lots of parts with it. So no major complaints, and I know the electronics is the weak point. But mine is still running, even with the old crappy connectors, after replacing some blown mosfet and a pic chip , last time I posted here. but got that fixed.

I've got an XML file for this machine and I got the motors running, so far, but I am still having trouble with Mach 3 reporting Watch Dog TImer errors and System Unstable.

Does anyone here have any other imput suggestions you can share?

Have done considerable testing with various software, but things are pointing to the controller, after reading many similar threads dealing with similar controller issues, I am almost certain that if I islolate that and see if the machines runs with a new controller, my problems will go away. so I am shopping around for a nice control system.

Ok seems that either no one else has this particular MAXPATH42 router or no one is interested in responding...

I bought a controller, from Keling, built and supposely tested with Mach 3. I was shopping around and wrote to several companies with similar control boxes and stepper drivers. Keling responded to me the fastest, they seem to know what they are selling, and I have not read any bad things so far. So I went with their product, even though I am not fond of the interesting baby blue color on their control box. Oh well, if the control box proves itself electronically decent, I will repaint the box to my liking.

The interior of the control box looks sound, except for 3 nuts that were missing to support the box side plates, this is on my other thread to Keling. This has me a little concerned, lack of care in the assembly of the box, could also be translated to the electronicns assembly as well, if the person that assembled it was not totally concentrated in doing the work right. I am hoping that this is only a mechanica assembly oversight. I hope the electronics are wired properly but I am going to recheck everything, before pluggin it, although Keling has mentioned to me that the box is tested, so I should be able to make the connections to the motors plug and run MACH3.

I have made further mechanical adjustments and enhancements to the MAXPATH42 router, including better screw to motor connectors, this machine does not use thrust bearings, and connects the screws directly to the shaft of the stepper motors with a simple alu tube with a couple set screws. Which is making me think that if there is a slight missalignent, it could rob mechanical efficiency, and the motors could esssentially pull more current, which could, in turn, burn or degrade the driver circuitry... rendering problems with the controller box. I have expereince problems with the control box before, also could be MAXNC cheap connections to the box from the motors, themselves. I read that if there are intermittent connections and the motors become disconnected from the controller box this could fry one of the drivers or drive circuitry, this could also have been a problem with my original controller box and all this is falling into clearer perspective, after working on this machine and trying to understand why MAXNC took the route they did in doing things the way they did with the MAXPATH42 original router.

While doing this upgrade, I was thinking, It would have been so easy for MAXNC to have installed linear rails on all axis, in the first place, instead of only on the X, but I guess they were trying to cut corners by reusing their dovetail sections, which they have been using on the small mills, they could have simply added the extra cost for the better rails and bearings and I think this router would have been a better seller. I for one would have been a lot happier customer. As of about a year, I think, the MAXPATH 42 router was upgraded with linear rails and I think thomson bearing /block on the Y axis, the Z remains operational via dovetail sliders, NO good if you plan on using such machine for continuous duty, as a w/e hobby project machine OK, but there are better machines far cheaper, that I think will do the same if used for similar hobby cutting. Anyway I think with all these enhancements I'v e made and still making to this router, I should end up with a machine I can put to use on a regular full time basis, at least I will not have to constantly re-tweak the gibbs on the Y and Z and spend too much time trying to get the tightness just right, which has been a pain, in the past, and the movement of all 3 axis, are a lot smoother, now. I am hoping they will retain a good degree of precision with my rather creative custom linear rail and v-groove bearings blocks upgrade.

Still waiting for a new machine to arrive, but at least, I will have this exisiting one running soon, hoping nothing goes wrong, if everything works well, I will be very proud to show what I did to this machine mechanically.

I still have some questions, with the parts I bought from Keling, for this router project, I placed these on the thread in the Keling area under electronincs. So if anyone feels like making a small contribution to any of my questions there, please, feel free to stop over.

Read my sucess story here. Seems I have answered most of the questions I had, myself. Very few have proided feedback, but that is OK.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59314