588,178 active members*
4,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Super MiniMill Vise/Rotary Changeover

Super MiniMill Vise/Rotary Changeover

We have a Super MiniMill that is used with a pair of Kurt 688 vises or a Haas HRT210 rotary with a tailstock and rotating fixtures. The vises are bolted to a subplate with dowels for alignment on the table so they are heavy. We built a hoist with a L shaped base that bolts onto three of the machine levelling screws with a vertical column made from trailer hitch receiver tubing just to the right of the machine door. An articulating arm pivots on the top of some 2" x 2" x 1/8" HS tube sliding in the receiver tube and pushed up by long stroke jack (Fig 1). The vise subplate is unbolted from the machine table, the hoist swung in and attached to a bracket bolted to the subplate between the vises (Fig 2). This allows the vises to be lifted over the door sill (the real hard part when this is done by hand) then the hoist is lowered and the vises are swung under the controller where they stay when not in use (Figs 3 & 4). The rotary lives inside the machine enclosure hanging from a turnbuckle attached to the square tube that supports the controller. With the vises gone the machine table is moved over (Fig 5), the rotary dropped down onto its mounting plate, the turnbuckle disconnected and the rotary slid forward under two front clamps and against two setscrews used for alignment (Fig 6). Two setscrews and two clamps are installed in the back of the rotary everything is finally tightened and it is ready for mounting the fixtures and tailstock. Alignment repeatability is better than +/- 0.0005" parallel with the Y axis and rotary centerline position. Total changeover time 10 to 15 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VISE_ROT1.jpg   VISE_ROT2.jpg   VISE_ROT3.jpg   VISE_ROT4.jpg  

VISE_ROT5.jpg   VISE_ROT6.jpg   VISE_ROT7.jpg  

Geof,
    Why not just grab that 4th axis and place it on the bed manually

For some reason my Kurt 688 vise is getting heavier every year.

It is still true, necessity is the mother of invention.

Smart thinking !

very neat idea, and a real time saver.

Nice work

Finally, someone with Brains. The easier the change over the faster things get done. Very nice work Geof. :cheers: I tried to do this with a different machine once and got yelled at by some Manufacturing Manager. LOL, He was probibly mad because it wasn't his idea. Simplicity = Efficiency.

:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I had the chance to use this set up and having just a piece of paper with a few instructions I did this in 20mins the set up is so smooth. kind of scary bringing the 4th axis down it looks like its going to drop hard but it doesn't and the kurts swinging them out of the machine I was well away, not pair of steel toes are protecting you from those

Had you considered using a Magnetic lift/hoist? It seems like the time spent rigging up you articulating arm would have been cost prohibitive considering the low cost of going with a magnetic lift.

Quote Originally Posted by hpappsguy
    Had you considered using a Magnetic lift/hoist? It seems like the time spent rigging up you articulating arm would have been cost prohibitive considering the low cost of going with a magnetic lift.
    I don't understand this. What is the magnetic lift/hoist going to be suspended from?

Keep the Cool Stuff Comming!!!!!

Geof,

What other cool methods do you have in your shop? I like to see real shop efficiency, opposed to the rat holes I've worked in.

:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    Geof,
    What other cool methods do you have in your shop? I like to see real shop efficiency, opposed to the rat holes I've worked in. :cheers:
    Not exactly in the shop but I like to think it qualifies as cool.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...3&page=1&pp=15

I was also planning on showing some machine moving; we just had to snake our VF0 out and a new VF2 into its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Not exactly in the shop but I like to think it qualifies as cool.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...3&page=1&pp=15

I was also planning on showing some machine moving; we just had to snake our VF0 out and a new VF2 into its place.
    That is Cool . I saw that post months ago and cringed when I went back out to my shop. You have a very nice set-up. I'm still working on getting more equipment. Still need a small band saw, grinder, and a much larger lathe.

If you remember PM me when you post the VF swap. Your still keeping the VF0 right? Nice little machines that HAAS puts out. That's a CAT40 if I'm not mistaken with a 20 tool atc.

Have fun :cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Ah I see now why you used the sub plates on this set up. Very nice, thanks for the info sir!

Maxi
    2008 Haas TM-1, 2009 TL-1

Geof

I will almost never comment with my opinion, good or bad, but that is BAD TO THE BONE!!

Geof-

Aluminum or steel or cast iron for your sub plate?

Tim

Aluminum for the both in this machine but on the production machines steel is used for the rotary table.

fastfrank; Thank you.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Nice setup there....here's a left-field question, how's the combined weight for all those items stacked on the table at once? I know the minimills run a limit of 500 lbs and those indexers are pretty beefy. Are your Minis anchored?

I run a SMM in the shop and am infrequently pushing those weight ratings every once in a while when Farmer John stops in with some combine assembly that needs to be worked. It's tough being the county toolroom (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    Nice setup there....here's a left-field question, how's the combined weight for all those items stacked on the table at once? .....
    Yes I am pushing it a bit leaving everything on the table; the vises are about 160 lbs and the HRT210 is a bit over 200 lb (I think). My rotary fixtures are another 70 lbs so all up I have a bit more than 400 lb on the table. Fortunately the parts I machine are only a couple of pounds each so I do scrape in under the 500 lb limit.

My machine is not anchored, and neither are the production machines in the main shop, and when they are engraving serial numbers they do shake around a bit.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.