587,779 active members*
2,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Super X1 Y axis noisey in one patch

Super X1 Y axis noisey in one patch

When I jog my Y axis from end to end there is a patch in the middle where the table/screw make a grinding noise but it still travels and motor is not loosing steps. Its the same area each time but it doesn't make noise to the same extend on its way back. What needs adjusting?

Anyone?

I notice that the noise is more pronounced on the travel outwards and less going in. But its literally happeneing for a few cms.

It's probably got a rough spot, quite literally. Search for lapping or scrapping the ways.

I have a similar thing on my X axis. I find a pair of earplugs helps.

Sounds like your backlash screw might be a little to tight. Try adjusting (both screws) that and if that doesn't do the trick, try some white lithium grease.

Another thing to check is your gib screws. If one is just a bit further in than the other, you'll hear it.

My X1 had a noisy patch on the Z axis...turned out when UPS dropped it off (literally), which ever so slightly pushed the head back, which deformed the column enough to force the edge of the dovetail out. It wasn't visible during inspection, but eventually showed up as a bright spot where the head was slowly wearing the high spot down. The extra drag was putting more load on the stepper motor, which gave an odd sort of burpy-grindy noise. It would lose steps if I went too fast.

I ended up scraping the high spot off (with the edge of a sharp carbide lathe bit), going very slowly and carefully. A little polish with some very fine wet sandpaper finished it off.
    Probably not as good as replacing the column, but it's not like the X1 has super tight accuracy anyway.

D.