587,999 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Super X3 CNC - HELP

hi all

I have recently bought a Super x3 to convert to cnc.
    I have lots of questions and very few answers.
    To start with this is what i have so far:
    1 x sx3
    1 x xylotex 4axis driver board
    1 x 8amp 30v power supply
    4 x 425oz/in steppers all nema 23 frame

The problem im having is mainly with the motor mounts.
    Firstly, will the 2mm pitch leadscrews be ok to use with these motors directly?
    Secondly, im not sure just how much actual power 425oz/in is. The Z axis requires alot of force to lift it and im not sure that the motors will be sufficient.

oh and how exactly do you mount the z motor without removing the rear panel for good? there isnt much room in there.

So, if there is anyone out there that has done this before that can help or point me in the right direction i will be all ears. I have been trying to find some kits or plans to copy from but there is very little info around about the super x3. is it the same setup as for the regular x3?

thanks
    matt
    :withstupi

X3 and Super X3 are very similar. I posted my plans for my X3 conversion on my website (see sig line) - feel free to look them over and look in the photo gallery for how I fit the Z stepper back there. 425's will be fine on X and Y direct drive. On my Z I have a 640 with a 2.6:1 gear reduction making my Z about 1664 oz/in. You do need more force than the 425 - but I don't know exactly how much. I can make my Z stall if I want to. The power supply is on the small side - I run 52V and really should run higher.

Oops - 2mm pitch...you're running the ACME leadscrews? If so you won't have speed, and the efficiency of the screws is going to sap a lot of the power. Not sure what to recommend. Ballscrews were a definite for me from the get go. Still - the concept of the motor mounts on my plans could be adapted to the stock ACME screws, you'll just need to do some measuring to locate the centerlines.
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com