588,058 active members*
4,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Surface Speed 4 Australian Hardwoods

I am sure this information is here somewhere on this leviathan that is CNCZone, however I can't seem to find it, in any real usable format at least.

I want to know if anyone has the surface-speed variables for Australian Hardwood. Or Any hardwood for that matter, or even wood actually.

At the very least some sort of correlation between material hardness and surface speed. There is a plethora of information for virtually all ferrous & non-ferrous materials but nothing I can find that is useful for wood. Like I said at the very least some sort of references with material hardness and surface speed.

Can someone please help a CNC noob, to my mind it is simple:-

Given a perfect setup(nothing is every perfect but using this as a base), material hardness equals X surface speed.

OR

Given a perfect setup(nothing is every perfect but using this as a base), material hardness equals X factor of surface speed.

Please Help

Re: Surface Speed 4 Australian Hardwoods

Curiously, 'they' usually use carbide tooling on wood. I believe that is because they run the cutters at screaming meemie speeds :-)
    Of course, if you are spinning at 12k, you want to keep moving fairly fast or you will just burn the timber.
    Hardwood may be harder, but it cuts cleaner.

Cheers

Re: Surface Speed 4 Australian Hardwoods

G'day tricarpa

The reason that you won't find any formulae for what you want is because there are too many variables to make a any formula work...the type of wood, how old it is..ect. As you probably already know, timber is not rateable like 7075 T6 ally for example. Also, the tool and the router affect the outcome...a Makita running at 24000 rpm with a straight cut carbide bit will provide a different outcome to an HSS spiral up or down cut bit which is becoming common today.

The only way to get data is to create your own...you already know how much force to push the router with your hands, converting this knowledge to data that you can repeat is something that only you can create:in other words you are going to have to push your cnc until it burns, combined with your depth of cut and the other variables...

If you care to publish your results I will be all ears

Good luck and keep us posted