587,291 active members*
3,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Surfcam 6

Page 4 of 4 234
    It may take Surfware a couple of days but why? If it’s released then announce it! Only takes a few seconds to update a website.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    It may take Surfware a couple of days but why? If it’s released then announce it! Only takes a few seconds to update a website.
    Is available in Surfcam site, via support. Today i receive the new Username/Password.
    For now only English version 32/64 bits.

I finally received my username and password and downloaded it this morning. Seems to be running ok. I tried a few of the new cutting strategies and they look good so far. I won’t use it for actual production for a few weeks while I get used to it and get my cutters imported over. 64 bit verify works much better than before. The user interface still needs a major redo…

Still no announcement on their website about the release of V6. I had to stop using it because it too was crashing just like V5.2 and I needed to get serious work done. I’ll try again next month if time permits.

Question

I found that V5.2 worked best if it was run on a 32bit computer running Windows XP32bit.

If you absolutely must run it under Vista or Windows 7 turn off all the fancy display stuff like Aero and make the OS visuals as basic as possible, then it "usually" works OK and only crashes once in a while. Make sure you have automatic saves turned on and you should be semi good.

Is it just me or has anybody noticed that SurfWare has dropped the "V" from the SurfCam name again. It was V4, V5, V5.1, V5.2 Now it seems we have "SurfCam 6". Can it be another twist in the ultra confusing and archaic Surfcam version naming strategy..?

If you go back in time on the WayBack Machine there was a previous version called SurfCam 6. They sure are creative over there. For a while, just like MicroSoft they named new versions after the year of release. SurfCam seems to base their naming scheme on whatever MicroSoft does. Windows 2000 brought about Surfcam 2000. I suppose they couldn't really use SurfCam XP, or SurfCam Vista so they came out with the V's..?

Like Windows 7, I guess now its back to straight numbers again. I wonder what they'll come up with next...

Yeah Surfcam 6 was the first Surfcam I used back in 1995 or 1996.

Have you tried the new Surfcam 6? Just curious if it’s as unstable on your system as it was on ours. We are using the Windows 7 64 bit on a i7 workstation with 6 gigs ram with 2 SSDs and a 1 gig video card.

I started with either SurfCam 1 or 2, I don't remember it was in the early 90's...

I haven't upgraded to 6 yet, we are on the SurfCam 3 easy payment plan for maintenance, which is great except that if you load the license onto the SIM before its paid in full the license is timed to expire in 30days just like the payments.

If the timed license expires the SIM stops working completely for any version of software and your effectively dead in the water, so I recommended that we don't update our SIMs until we get a permanent license file.

I'd like to see the New SurfCam 6 but its not really that big of a deal to wait a bit. I didn't use V5 until V5.2 came out so I figger let someone else do the debugging that way, I won't lose more hair than I already have...

I have finally installed Surfcam 6 but have not had any crashes yet but I only played with it for about 3 hours. But I just got a Logitech G510 keyboard with programmagle keys which gave me hotkeys for the contour, drill or anything I want which solves thier interface problems for me. Have you figured out what causes Surfcam 6 to crash?

That Keyboard looks interesting. I like the left hand buttons, reminds me of the DOS days when programs took advantage of the F keys and there was a lot of keyboards like this. Is it wireless? I hate cables, especially on the mouse. But I hate batteries that die without warning as well. A USB cable on the keyboard could be tolerable though. Logitech makes a great product but I have one problem with their keyboards. The 2 feet that prop up the rear are really cheap and break too easily and don’t tilt the keyboard up enough. How are the feet on this one?

I don’t know what was making Surfcam 6 crash, the last time it just closed without warning so that was the last straw and I uninstalled it. I used it for a few days and ran into a few problems like I couldn’t get the tool menu to work right, such as the bar on the bottom that narrows the search by fractions was grayed out. I had some issues with a couple of the NC operations as well. I may reinstall it, but I have to get some projects finished first. I think it still needs work which could explain why they still don’t have an announcement on their website.

You are right about the feet on the logitech keyboard. They do not seem really cheap but they do not tilt the keyboard high enough. That is a bummer about surfcam 6 I have a completely new computer for it and I am going to need to do more testing before handing it over to the lead programmer. I really want surfcam 6 to be somewhat stable because I do not want to be switching out computers to the old one and I really do not want to installed surfcam 5.2 on the new computer.

Page 4 of 4 234