587,890 active members*
2,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Swiss Material Requirements for Centerless Ground Stock

Swiss Material Requirements for Centerless Ground Stock

Hello,

I was ask to put together a form on the material requirements for our swiss lathe machines. To send to our vendors. All I know is how to program them and set them up but now I am stuck with this. I also know if we use centerless ground stock we eliminate a lot of the problems we are having now. Where I use to work we use 12ft long +/-.0005 dia. and must meet print ASTM. This all started when we receive 3/4" bar stock that mic .7595. I was looking at there certs and we didnt have any specifications on the material certs. So now i am stuck putting some kind of form together. We are going to get our material sent out to get centerless ground from now on. If some one has a form I can reference on what specifications I should be looking for Please send it to my email address [email protected]. I just need to look at something to help me get started and make my own.

Thank you,
    Tejano

hi,

i would suggest you look into automatic guide bushes this could save you a lot of cash in the future that way you dont need to purchase ground stock for its consisitant dia

regards
    izhammer

izhammer,

Thanks for the suggestion, but this company wants to go with centerless ground material. I tried already.

Smile

I would suggest +/-.0003 with 32 micro finish. Also a chamfer on one end of the bar would help.(chamfer= 25% of stock dia).

citizencnc,

Thank you for the suggestion and the chamfer idea.

In the early days I would buy ground stock for our Swiss Machines but have been able to eliminate that by getting the material from Schmolz & Bickenbach(formerly Ugine). I routinely mic the bars and get less than .0005 variation end to end. Another upside is they chamfer both ends of the bars.