588,638 active members*
5,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    John, could you point us to the part numbers from your mill? Maybe all of the board part numbers?

Are there different numbers on the board besides the AP2?

Been searching around a bit looking for the ability to control an SX3 spindle speed from Mach3. Bumped into this thread.

Anyone know if this has been accomplished yet? This is an old thread and based on the interest it would seem that someone would have figured it out by now.

If this has not been solved, then I'll start working on an AtMega solution to replace the control board.

Thanks,
    Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by sagreen View Post
    Been searching around a bit looking for the ability to control an SX3 spindle speed from Mach3.
    Scott...
    I have been looking at it on and off by implementing a Modbus interface, If anything comes to light I will post it.
    I also experimented running a controller that uses the max voltage of the BLDC motor to run it at the rated RPM, runs up to 3600rpm, no problem.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The simple, brute force method would be to use a micro-controller to simulate pressing buttons on the front panel.

A more interesting approach would be to replace the motor control mcu with a DSP and implement a more advanced control algorithm. For example, a field oriented control system would maximize the power and efficiency of the motor. If the schematic is accurate, the existing controller uses a simple trapezoidal commutation technique.

The best part is that the code is freely available from the chip vendors. There would be no need to do it from scratch.

Syil conversion uses a button pusher.
    Absolutely hopeless, beep,beep,beep all the time.
    It works, even for reverse, but needs 20 seconds spinup time to sort of get going, and stopping is a drag too.
    Reversing. It works but laughable.

PWM input from Mach3.
    Stupid thing compares command speed with tacho speed, and keeps faking the button push codes.

How long does it take to push button it up manually?
    Well the board always does it from minimum speed, so always takes a ridiculous amount of time. Mine is 3600 RPM.
    Max practical control is 3500. Min is about 250.
    Divide that by two if you don't have the fast pulley setup.

Just needs a total redesign to interface this properly.

Need pictures of motor and front panel board, and I can give post a circuit if I have one for that version.

Mine works, but I only use it to turn off jobs that I leave running for hours.

More similar comments way back here...
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/x3_sx3...tml#post601324
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Need a picture of your existing boards, so I can show a photo of what you need. There are different models, and they use different boards, and they all work just as badly.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post

Mine works, but I only use it to turn off jobs that I leave running for hours.
    Did you implement a button pusher?

When the Syil one is in CNC mode it is a button pusher.
    Beeps all the time it running as it fiddles the buttons.
    When I'm not there it beeps to itself, and I don't care.

Just needs a proper interface to the motor board instead of the front panel board.

It is just a dumb, stupid implementation. Syil got a third party to design it and Syil had no idea even how to specify it, so EC just did a crappy job
    and screwed them over IMHO.

East crystal electronic co.ltd.

Page 3 of 3 123