587,319 active members*
3,432 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Syil SX3 upgrade to X4 electronics

Syil SX3 upgrade to X4 electronics

I was fortunate enough to work with Syil Canada this weekend to upgrade my mill to x4 electronics. Prior to the upgrade the standard electronics and the drive motor would bring the spindle up to full speed in 45 seconds.

The upgrade took about 3 hours in total...mostly because we were chatting and taking it pretty easy.

The first move was to remove the SX3 faceplate, and in my circumstance, to remove the manual drill press handles, the clock spring, etc. I had to install a bolt as well to facilitate the removal of the quill pinch bolt, as there no longer is a hole in the new cover for the previous bolt system.

We next removed the Seig main power board and connected the new mainboard. In order to mount the board to the existing standoffs, we had to relocate the main power cable to just below the main switch, as it was hitting the heat sink and not allowing the board to align with the standoffs.

This new board also allowed us to remove the board at the bottom of the enclosure...which will free up some space for the future (in my case for a second 5 axis board to be used as a breakout board and a 2nd parallel port (to be used for my touch probe and a future optical sensor).

Once this was all installed and a bit of testing done, we were able to get this thing up to 3500 rpm in about 5 seconds.

I still have to build permanent mounts for the faceplate, and some covers for the new holes in both sides of the spindle housing, and then repaint the machine in the new yellow color.

Keith has also ordered a 6800 rpm motor for me to install. To make this work I have to source out some ceramic bearings, and work on cooling fans, but once this is nailed down, I will be able to easily run the machine up to 6500 rpm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3210057.jpg   P3210059.jpg   P3210060.jpg   P3210061.jpg  

P3210064.jpg   P3210063.jpg   P3210065.jpg   P3230066.jpg  

P3230067.jpg  

Hi canadamaxxer,

Nice to see someone followed me on this. You did a much better job of documenting it than I did tho.

I love the spin up time on mine. 5 seconds to full 3500 rpms. I also connected my fog buster up to the coolant switch on the X4 electronics which really is making my life enjoyable as far as machining goes.

I am curious about the 6800 RPM motor you are installing. Is that a Syil provided motor or an aftermarket? Please let us know what you are planning on using for the bearings as well.

Also, a possible tip for you. I used the existing mounting holes on the face of the X3 and cut small delrin blocks and bolted them into the existing holes on the X3. Then I put the X4 faceplate up over the delrin blocks and spot drilled holes to use the bolt the X4 faceplate on. Then I removed the faceplate, drilled the holes to depth and then used self tapping screws to secure the faceplate to the mill head.

Take care and enjoy happier milling!

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    Hi canadamaxxer,

Nice to see someone followed me on this. You did a much better job of documenting it than I did tho.

I love the spin up time on mine. 5 seconds to full 3500 rpms. I also connected my fog buster up to the coolant switch on the X4 electronics which really is making my life enjoyable as far as machining goes.

I am curious about the 6800 RPM motor you are installing. Is that a Syil provided motor or an aftermarket? Please let us know what you are planning on using for the bearings as well.

Also, a possible tip for you. I used the existing mounting holes on the face of the X3 and cut small delrin blocks and bolted them into the existing holes on the X3. Then I put the X4 faceplate up over the delrin blocks and spot drilled holes to use the bolt the X4 faceplate on. Then I removed the faceplate, drilled the holes to depth and then used self tapping screws to secure the faceplate to the mill head.

Take care and enjoy happier milling!

Wade
    Thanks for the comments.

The motor is a Syil product, and until I spoke with Syil Canada today, had no idea of this motor's existence. I knew about the 5000 rpm motors, but this was revolutionary.

I can't say enough about the customer service I've been given...For Keith to drive an hour and three quarters each way to set me up is absolutely amazing. Not to mention the fact that he's actively trying to give the best value for my money....and offering super advice on tweaking and improving the machine in all ways.

I am stoked about being able to spin the machine that fast, but have not begun the search for bearings as of yet. I need to make a couple of small parts first....then out comes the spindle and off to my local bearing supplier for some hunting....

Thanks for the idea on the delrin. I had a similar idea, but using aluminum angle for the bracket, tapping the holes to M4 and using the original screws.

I used delrin because of the close proximity of the circuit board to some of the mount points. I thought that no risk of shorting was a good idea. If you use a tormach style tool holder, make sure to face the nose of your spindle. Mine was off by 8 thousandths.

Wade

Nice conversion, shame it has to be done though. I did enquire over here but nothing came of it.

The high speed motor certainly sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by iGG1e View Post
    Nice conversion, shame it has to be done though. I did enquire over here but nothing came of it.

The high speed motor certainly sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.
    if you want to this update,let me konw.
    i never got any email from you or Mr hugh.
    so..

xushuo
    syil china.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Xushuo you are correct that I haven't contacted you directly. I did discuss it with Hugh, but I've not pushed him since then.

If you have a kit price and shipping options to the UK already worked out, then I'd be interested in seeing if my frustrations of the spindle CNC control lose out to the extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by iGG1e View Post
    Xushuo you are correct that I haven't contacted you directly. I did discuss it with Hugh, but I've not pushed him since then.

If you have a kit price and shipping options to the UK already worked out, then I'd be interested in seeing if my frustrations of the spindle CNC control lose out to the extra cost.
    ok,give me your address exactly and all info like tel,fax,contact name.
    to [email protected]
    then mr wang will quote the price for you.
    thank you very much.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

you can remove the ugly looks of the yellow face and use the SX3 original face with little effort, check how I did it: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92835

Pablo
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

Quote Originally Posted by PEU View Post
    you can remove the ugly looks of the yellow face and use the SX3 original face with little effort, check how I did it: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92835

Pablo
    I'm going the other direction....I'm going to be painting the whole machine yellow.

LMAO! cool, thats what I call a real upgrade!! if you are going to paint it, you can hide the legacy holes more nicely.
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●