587,460 active members*
3,710 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

table slat size

hi, i just got my table i built up and going my table slats are made out of 1.25x.25 flat stock stood up i have cut about 10 different progects gut when i get one cut i have to replace the slats because it cut right thru them im using a ox/act torch cuting plate 2" thick what can i do to extend the life of the slats thanks, ben

from my experience.. getting the slats 1/4 inch thick is waste of money

i use 1/8 slats and its better if its really long (4 " it will burn half way if u are using torch butthe last 2 inch will hold up fine

hope that helps..

Cheers
    Dan

thanks i will try that

DanOSB suggestion is pretty much right on. But I have been thinking outside of the box on this subject. What if you took your 1/8" x 4" slats (or whatever size) and wrapped them with fire retardant fabrics, like headers on a dragster.... Has anyone done this ? Im sure this would stop anyones slats from being totally destroyed. The key question is, does the FRF stop the flame totally or will it wear into the slat over time? The fabric is not cheap, but if it stops the flame 100% for years it might be worth looking into...

from my experience with those fire proof fabric it will burn holes if u put direct flame on it at x amount of time so eventually that fabric will be garbage and then cut ur slats so its not worth it my opinion..

its still cheaper buy 1/8 4 inch slats and space them 8 inches apart or even 12 inches apart and replace them every now then.. keep the slats till they cannot stay flat anymore (to keep the sheet flat)

Oxy Fuel cutting 2 inch steel will eat up 1/4 inch slats. Most people will use 1/4 by 6 or 8 inch wide slats. The oxy fuel will only notch the top section of the slats.
    Another trick is to fill your table with water to about 3/4 inch below the material. This will slow down the cutting of the slats.
    Also put your slats on a 30 degree angle. Your less likely to cut right down a slat then when they are straight across the table.
    Alan Bradford
    www.plasmatechnologies.com

i would like to build something to hold the water uder my slats but i use the plasma for thinner metal and i just not sure about water and electricty

you dont have to worry about electricity with plasma

its very common for plasma table to have water under it but for submerged plasma cutting unit is different story..

i have the water 1/2 inch below the metal im cutting sometimes 1/4 inch below it actually stop 95 percent of the fume and everything