587,700 active members*
4,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tabs - Again

Hybrid View

Tabs - Again

Again I am back to looking at tabs for SC. One of the reasons I started trying BobCad. I am trying to mill several small parts, but really do not want to take the time to create fixtures or soft jaws. really not needed as they are simple 2D designs.

I never got any of the suggestions before to work on creating tabs in SC. Anyone had any luck simulating them?

I did read a post (lost it) where someone created 2D circles and then had SC ignore them, but I never could figure out how to do that.

Any suggestions would help.

I do have the option of adding tabs in Alibre as a alternate configuration, but sometimes I am not sure how I will machine it when I am designing the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Again I am back to looking at tabs for SC. One of the reasons I started trying BobCad. I am trying to mill several small parts, but really do not want to take the time to create fixtures or soft jaws. really not needed as they are simple 2D designs.

I never got any of the suggestions before to work on creating tabs in SC. Anyone had any luck simulating them?

I did read a post (lost it) where someone created 2D circles and then had SC ignore them, but I never could figure out how to do that.

Any suggestions would help.

I do have the option of adding tabs in Alibre as a alternate configuration, but sometimes I am not sure how I will machine it when I am designing the parts.
    If you do a search on the SC forum I posted on it there quite a while ago. Its quite easy. Just draw a small rectangle or circle at the edge of the part and use extrude and make it a restricting zone(where you want the tabs). Ive used it many many times and it works great.

David

David,

Actually you mentioned some words i missed on the other post. I see how this can work now.

Only problem is I do not see a restriction zone in 2D contouring?

99.9% sure there is. I do 2D contouring all the time and create tabs that way. Im not at my CAM computer now to post a pic, but look again, I know its there.(or Im goin nuts )

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    99.9% sure there is. I do 2D contouring all the time and create tabs that way. Im not at my CAM computer now to post a pic, but look again, I know its there.(or Im goin nuts )
    I know it should be there.. Will check after dinner But it does show it in the help documentation.. I just don't see it. It may just be the way I set my OP up, will try on a fresh file later as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails restricted zone.jpg  

You can also extrude them as fixtures. There is another way of doing this. Instead of 2D contouring use "Jet Cutting" . You can add bridges in this operation, however you will have to add a Z depth and a correct spindle speed using a editor (notepad++). I have done this several times and it works well. I have an active request for SprutCAM to add the bridges to 2D contouring.