587,739 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Question Taig cnc Mill upgrade

I have a stock Taig cnc mill running the MPS 2003 software on a Fujitsu laptop (only computer I had that had windows 95 to run true DOS) also with the supplied 1.0 amp stepper motors. I would like to upgrade the computer and therefore the software to mach 3 and also upgrade the stepper motors so that I can faster than 10ipm without losing steps. Can this be done using the stock taig controller or should that be replaced as well? Any suggestions as to a reasonably priced setup would be welcomed.
    Thank you...

That should work

If you have the stock Taig controller that runs step/direction, upgrading to Mach3 should work fine, assuming you get it a Windows 2000, XP or 7 desktop computer that's 1gb+ with 512 RAM and a video card. You should be able to run the mill at 20ipm reliably. If those are the motors that Taig supplied, you shouldn't have to change them out. If you've got the older phase-drive controller, you might have to send it back to the factory for retrofitting before Mach3 will work, but Taig probably won't charge too much for that.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by machine man View Post
    I have a stock Taig cnc mill running the MPS 2003 software on a Fujitsu laptop (only computer I had that had windows 95 to run true DOS) also with the supplied 1.0 amp stepper motors. I would like to upgrade the computer and therefore the software to mach 3 and also upgrade the stepper motors so that I can faster than 10ipm without losing steps. Can this be done using the stock taig controller or should that be replaced as well? Any suggestions as to a reasonably priced setup would be welcomed.
    Thank you...

MPS2003 *IS* Step and Direction, so the controller is capable of connecting direct to Mach3. But obviously the laptop will not be able to run that.

With regards the speed. You SHOULD be able to get 25IMP reliably and if you are not getting that currently, then I would suspect that something is adjusted incorrectly so that the machine is too tight, or alternatively, a common problem which reduces power is that the internal fuse for the high voltage supply has blown. In this case, the controller works, but with reduced power. WHY that fuse is internal, and not mounted on the end plate only Kurt can say, but it is worth taking the cover off and checking it.

Switching motors and controller will give a number of advantages. Running bipolar motors with a bipolar driver can give up to 60IPM, but additionally it can add quarter stepping which improves both resolution and smoothness of motor movement. It does mean scrapping the existing motors and controller though
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Smile

Thank-you for your input! Since the Taig conroller is capable of running Mach3 I think that is where I will start. I have a Windows XP Pro. computer laying around now, so I will make sure that it is up to snuff with enough memory and a good graphics card and use that with Mach 3 to start and see how it goes. I will also go through the mill itself to make sure it is in adjustment. I can always upgrade the contoller and stepper motors at a later date.
    Once again thank-you for your time...