587,370 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Taig CNC motor details

Howdy,

Bare with me, total noob, still learing correct terminology!

Would some kind soul post its data plate for the cnc versions upgraded spindle motor or enough info to find a spec sheet on the net. Or just its rpm, shaft diameter, how its mounted, anything i might need to know to replace it?

I have a cnc 2019cr on its way to australia and hoping to find a motor to work on our 240v 50hz power =)

While im at it, is 1/4 hp generally enough? would 1/2 or more be overkill? how much slower/faster rpm might i be able to go

Already considered a setup transformer but the frequency differance will be detrimental to speed/heat

Thx!

don't have the specs in front of me, but the motor size and shaft is a very standard compressor/commercial/farm duty type thing. common as dirt and cheap as chips. should be an extremely easy find for a replacement.

you can go with more horsepower no problem, though you may or may not need it. you can't go much faster though, as the spindle bearings are what limit that system to a bit over 10k rpm, not the motor.

there are other options people have done in the past, especially to add speed control. using a dc motor and speed controller salvaged from a treadmill is one old trick if you are the electronics type.

just remember it adds weight to an already heavy z axis, so don't add more than you need. i actually went the other way and added a lighter motor myself, one with very little if any additional power, which acted to increase my travel speeds for machining in light materials. your usage may vary, especially if you are planning on hogging through serious materials.

if you already are looking to spring for a new motor, you might want to look into simply ordering a 0.8kw or 1.5kw chinese water cooled spindle, and locally source a small vfd to run it. they are stupidly cheap now.
    this would still cost at least double or even treble what a straight replacement motor would cost you, but would give you greater power and the much higher spindle speeds you seek (24k rpm!!), as well as adding speed control in gcode, and a lighter z axis all at the same time. if you do it, better to do it now than sink more money into the spindle that is there if you think its speed or power will limit you.

Would some kind soul post its data plate for the cnc versions upgraded spindle motor or enough info to find a spec sheet on the net. Or just its rpm, shaft diameter, how its mounted, anything i might need to know to replace it?

I have a cnc 2019cr on its way to australia and hoping to find a motor to work on our 240v 50hz power =)
    Hopefully your supplier did not stick you with a motor that you can't use. The motor is a NEMA36 frame, 3/8" shaft, 1/4 HP "CONTINIOUS DUTY", TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled). I emphasized 'continuous duty' as it is important. The Taig motor will produce 1/4HP from now until the cows come home, quite often when you look at motors they list the 'peak' HP, but the motor may only be able to actually produce that amount of power for a few minutes at a time.

For international folks I normally fit up a Sherline spindle motor. It requires some modification to the Sherline spindle pulley but works very well. It is not as powerful of a motor but I've never known anyone to spend all day using a 1/2" end mill on their Taig anyhow. (Well to be fair I have a friend who spent months torture testing a Taig by running it with a 3/8" EM, through aluminum, 12-16 hours a day. He was developing a new method to detect bearing failure.) Anyhow, the point is you really do not need a huge spindle motor.
    Jeff Birt

1/4 HP, 3600 RPM. I don't know the mount, but it is a face mount motor.

I wouldn't say that they are as common as dirt. 1725 RPM motors in this size are, but 3600 RPM is a more useful speed for CNC.

Going too large will make the Z axis too heavy to operate smoothly. I had an 1/8 HP motor for a long time and it actually worked pretty well. I've never felt like 1/4 HP is underpowered on this mill.

Quote Originally Posted by awetmore View Post
    1/4 HP, 3600 RPM. 1725 RPM motors in this size are, but 3600 RPM is a more useful speed for CNC.
    Although down under he will get ~2800 and ~1475 on 50Hz.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

VariableSpeedSpindle - Model Engineers Digital Workshop
    The standard shaft for these motors is 11mm, and Peter at Peatol keeps 11mm pulleys in stock. You should be able to find the same motor and controller in Australia, but I've not had feedback on local sources.
    The ER16 spindle is actually speced to 15k RPM. I believe the older spindle was speced to 12k, but the newer builds use the same bearings for both. ( That data is from Taig )

The alternative option if you would prefer higher speeds on the spindle are the Kress units. Kress High Speed Spindles - Model Engineers Digital Workshop again I understand that there have been enquiries about an Australian source, but don't have any information on one. Shipping from Europe is not to bad ... and I have shipped on a Friday and the customer has had it Monday morning
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Hmm yeah they cant be that comman or im looking in the wrong palces, i cant find anything about around 1/4hp @ ~3500rpm ><

Other then maybe this one below, but i dont think it will have enough touqe by itself? or at low revs geared?
    about 1hp
    0.8KW WATER-COOLED SPINDLE MOTOR 1.5KW INVERTER DRIVE VFD GRINDING ENGRAVING b8 | eBay

I was thinking though, there are some insane brushless rc motors out there so i might give one of them ago as they are readily avalible. my fingers can vouch to there power haha. These are about 1kw and very light with speed controlers, not sure what there touque curve is like though, running full speed they should have enough.
    Terminator

lsces, your setup looks pretty nice

Quote Originally Posted by osarus View Post
    Hmm yeah they cant be that comman or im looking in the wrong palces, i cant find anything about around 1/4hp @ ~3500rpm ><
    Looking at Oz suppliers from here is a pain, but ....

http://www.roycecross.com.au/product...iable&Variable[ProductCodeID]=T000-25DD2B14AGD
    with
    http://www.roycecross.com.au/product...iable&Variable[ProductCodeID]=VS1ST-230
    ( Pigging editior can't cope with square brackets in a URL !!! so you will need to search for the part numbers on the site )

1/3hp is easier to find, but will be 2800RPM - hence 3phase+inverter gives variable speed. I get a good 10k with the ACS150 inverter and you should be able to find that in Oz. But the Baldor drive should be as good.
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

Lester had a good point - with a different pulley you can mount anything, and there are two sizes of imperial pulley, one in metric already apparently, and you are one lathe operation away from opening the smallest imperial pulley to whatever size you wish (which is probably where the 11mm ones come from in the first place)

Also, with a face mount motor, if the holes don't line up on the mounting plate. drill new ones.

Mine arrived this morning :devious: so made some photos of motor for anyone else interested.

lsces's 3phase motor and power supply is looking best to me atm, but i decided to play with the current setup on a stepdown transform i sourced for free first. To give me a better idea of what i acually want it to do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120109-IMGP1683.jpg   20120109-IMGP1684.jpg   20120109-IMGP1685.jpg  

Any chance of getting a weight on that particular motor?
    The one's I have left on the shelf are actually 1/4HP at 4kg, while the 1/3HP would be 4.2kg. But there is also a 1/2HP in the same package size which the ACS150 will drive quite happily, and that is 4.7kg. I don't think that the extra 0.5kg would be a problem.

Of cause I haven't take the Kress off my own machine in the last couple of years, so I'm a little reliant on feedback from others here
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

Les, going off memory here, but I think that motor is 11 lbs. (4.9 kg?).

Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Les, going off memory here, but I think that motor is 11 lbs. (4.9 kg?).
    Dave
    That is in line with what I thought, so switching to a 1/2HP motor would still be a little lighter. The fixed speed motor we were using when I took over support in the UK was lighter partly because the starter caps were mounted in the control box rather than hanging on the motor.
    Lester Caine - G8HFL

Yup 4.9kg is correct for cnc version motor i posted

I have a brushless DC motor in that range (about 500w iirc) from an electric bike, and it weighs under 2 kilos. speed control as well. those big heavy farm duty motors will punish your z accel speeds something fierce. go lighter if you can

Yeah im also still considering a dc, looking at this outrunner

$100 and then a $100 esc for a semi decent programmable esc
    Kv : 130 rpm/V
    Weight: 1570g
    Shaft: 12mm
    Voltage Range: 20-48v
    so rpm ~2600 - ~6240
    Maximum Power: 6500W max load at 48v

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner (eq: 70-55)

If it fails then i have a nice electric bike project ^_^

I'd check with the manufacturer of those hobby motors to see if they are designed for continuous use. It seems likely that they were only designed for intermediate use (as you'd see on a RC vehicle or electric bike).

If you ever get into flood or mist cooling you'll want some sort of sealed motor (TEFC -- totally enclosed fan cooled, is what Taig supplies). Other photos of Turnigy motors show that they have open cooling.

alex