588,127 active members*
5,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Taper, Metric DRO, and accessory quality

Taper, Metric DRO, and accessory quality

Hi. I am considering purchase of the Tri-Power for precision machining of hardwoods (Uilleann Bagpipe chanters, drones, and regulators) and have several questions to ask of actual owners of these machines. Any response to any question will be greatly appreciated!

1) I need to cut external and internal tapers on hardwood. Beyond offsetting the tailstock or using a boring head in the tailstock for the offset, is there a compound slide taper attachment available for this machine? Or will I have to make my own?

2) Will the DRO that Shoptask sells display in metric units as well as inches? Most of the work I do is sourced in metric units, and it would be a great convienence to easily switch between systems. Is anyone aware of other DRO units that would display metric and inches, that would work with the Tripower?

3) What is the quality of the Shoptask accessory packages-- i.e is the 4 jaw chuck a precision unit, or would I be better looking elsewhere for accessories?

Thanks!

-- Harlow

hpinson,
    1. I'm not sure about the compound slide attachment. I have not seen or heard about one.
    2. I purchased my DRO from Shoptask and it is an easy change to metric. Just a push button between metric and standard. The DRO they sell is the CBX. You can check them out www.star-techno.com
    3. The 4-jaw chuck from shoptask is from China just like the Eldorado. I found it to be fair quality. However, you need to modify the cast iron face plate shoptask gives you in order to use it. I have not used it that much. The only time I have needed it is when I use my rotary table.

I have had my machine for just over a year now and I'm happy with it. I purchased the entire package, Ball Screws, DRO, CNC, and some other tooling. The only real problem I have had is my table seems to rock when reversing directions. See the posts about table rocks when reversing directions. However, this is only a recent occurance. There is also a cheap plastic oil sight glass on the lathe turret that I cussed at when it broke twice. I had ST replace it and it broke when I installed it so I plugged it with a pipe plug. I guess as with everything there is room for improvement.

Overall I would have to recommend the Eldorado. It has given me a good finish and has cut everything I put on it. It is a rigid design, which I like. I would suggest going with ball screws. They really are worth it. I had ST install mine. What they do is cut the ACME screws and weld the ball screws on to them. I

I plan it work with mine some more on improving quality but that will come with experience. I'm not a machinist so all this has been new to me. I have been slowly getting better.

There are some guys here in CNC Zone that really know what they are doing. I have received a lot of good info from this forum. Some of the guys here have websites that give ideas and improvements. Check them out.
    Hope this helps.

Casey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DRO.jpg   Rotary Mount 024.jpg