587,698 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tapping aluminum

what taps to you giy use to tap aluminum. the 4 flute taps I use get loaded uo so quickly and I have to keep clearing them. There must be a better way?

Mark

Mark,
    are you using a cutting fluid like "Tap Magic" , are they thru or blind holes and what size? I use 2,3 and 4 fluted taps and tap magic pro on aluminum with no problems
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RLC View Post
    Mark,
    are you using a cutting fluid like "Tap Magic" , are they thru or blind holes and what size? I use 2,3 and 4 fluted taps and tap magic pro on aluminum with no problems
    I am indeed using tap magic or a cutting oil with a taper tap in a through hole 1/4-20 in 3/4 inch 6061 t6 aluminum. Maybe a 3 flute tap is better (more space for the chips to clear into?

Have you tried a spiral flute tap...are you hand tapping or power tapping? With a spiral flute in T6 it should string instead of chip. Strings will exit the hole at the top where straight flute will chip and clog the tap.
    Steve

form taps...they don't make chips (just a little dust)

I run them with just the machine coolant.

Justin

I have been hand tapping although I just ordered a compression/tension tapping head to run in a g84 tapping cycle on my fadal. I have a strong feeling those 4 flute taps I am using will snap

I would form tap. Just make sure that you have real good coolant flow into the hole as form taps can build a lot of heat. Why not try a Tapmatic tapping head instead of tension and compression?
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

fourperf..... go to 2 flute taps for aluminum.

You can make any tool "work".... but for aluminum, you're best bet is 2 flute or roll tap. You can rigid tap all day with just the machine coolant...
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

thanks for the advice guys, I did not go with the tapmatic self reversing head because of the price and to cover the range of taps I wanted I would need 2 of them

Mark

I've seen two comments on this threads suggesting coolant with form taps. I believe that coolant is not what should be used. Form taps require lubricant; not coolant. I highly recommend them for aluminum. Also, remember that because form taps displace the metal, they require a larger hole before tapping.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

I've seen two comments on this threads suggesting coolant with form taps. I believe that coolant is not what should be used. Form taps require lubricant; not coolant.
    I don't agree... BUT,

"Lubricant" may be "better" for rolling, even cutting for that matter. However, I've been using coolant in the machines and roll tapping aluminum for more years than I can remember for threads of all sizes, class, depth, type, etc. I've never had any problems to come to believe that I need to be using "lubricant".
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Coolant is lubricant; well at least the oily part is, I guess the water part only cools. There is pretty much the same amount of metal deformation and metal rubbing against metal in tapping and forming. The difference is the location of the rubbing and deformation and the final destination of the deformed metal.

I would form tap with coolant as a lubricant. If you don't want to form tap definitely get away from a 4 flute tap.

Machine coolant works fine for form tapping.

For parts with small holes and fine threads (like M3 or 2-56), I will increase the concentration from 5% to about 8%. Anything larger and 5% is fine.

spiral flt or roll , any straight flt will bunch up ,use coolant , the only time you would need oil or paste when working with aluminum would be with some castings or other really soft sticky material

Hi fourperf, if you're through tapping then it's spiral point you should be using, and coolant, or soluble oil is Ok.
    Spiral flute taps are weaker and should only be used for blind hole tapping to get the swarf out.
    Ian.

How do you rigid tap with a form tap? I've never done it but want to try it. As for the taping fluid? Try using Moly-dee taping fluid, my favorite.